tascam 58-OB for sale near DC/richmond $650

rasdestroyer

hi...
i'm getting ready to move out of the US and, sadly, cannot afford
to drag my reel to reel beast along with me... i bought this thing about
five years ago right after the original owner did $1500 in repair work, and it has served me well (though i haven't used it nearly as much i wanted to) in the brief time we've shared space. the tascam 58-OB, to the best of my knowledge, was one of the company's top offerings in the 8 track reel to reel field in the early 80s.. it retailed for like $4500, features XLR ins and outs in addition to RCA connectors, supports DBX units, etc etc.. honestly, i am not a real wizard when it comes to the tech end of recording, so i cannot do justice to the apparent glory of this machine with my ramblings!

anyhow, my unit is in great condition overall, all mechanical functions are working properly, input and output is warm, seamless, and smooth. all rollers and motors and whatnot are in excellent shape (from what i understand, most of the work the last owner had done was maintenance pertaining to rollers/pullies/motors , so they've been looked at pretty recently)... there are a few cosmetic issues, but they have no effect on performance : there is a dent in the metal casing near its top right corner.. i have no idea how it got there, but it hasn't yielded any ill consequence; the plastic plate that covers the front of the heads is missing - again, this was gone when i bought th unit and i don't have a reason to miss it; finally, the little light bulb that illuminates the 8th VU meter is out.. the meter itself works fine and is plainly visible, unless you record in pitch dark conditions...

i guess that about sums it up.. my asking price is $650, which i think is pretty reasonable in today's market for reel to reel decks... please direct any questions about the tascam to bryan at 202 413 1620 or via email.. the unit is currently located in richmond, VA, at my house, but i can get it to washington DC if that helps the buyer... i live in the city and use a moped to get around, so i can't haul the beast around, but local pickup is welcomed! i can theoretically ship the unit as well, but given its bulk and weight, i can't imagine that itll be cheap.. i would estimate at least 100 bucks for shipping within the US, if i can get a normal carrier to take it.. anyhow, those details can be worked out later... let me know if you're interested, and don't be afraid to harass me with questions !

thanks for reading, take care
bryan
(i do have a few stills of the 8 track if you want to see it.. email me and i'll
bounce em your way)

Back