Tascam 564 Fans Unite!

Sexy Heather

TG Girl
I have only had my 564 for about a year, but it's really great! My other Tascams include a 688 I've had since 1990 and a 424 I've had since 1992. I began on a Porta One in 1988. All of these units have produced some really great sounding Rock 'n Roll tracks on cassette, CD and MP3! I have to say that I really love my 564. It's analog mixer reminds me very much of the fun I had recording with my Porta One. That's a great thing! Menu-driven and computer-based recording is not for me. I am a huge computer user (I own over 30 Macs, from a 1990 Mac Classic to an eMac G4, as well as several PCs, and I enjoy using them for mastering and creating CDs/MP3s. However, I am "old school" in a recording sense, and my musical influences reflect that, as well (Stones, Beatles, Zeppelin, Clapton, Black Crowes, Mellencamp, etc.). Which is not to say I don't dig modern music, as well, but I developed my style before the modern technology, and my creative instincts are somewhat rooted in the analog realm. That said, my 564 is a great bridge between analog and digital. It's analog mixing stage satisfies my desire to "turn a knob, hear the result" and the MiniDisc recorder provides a sonic clarity that can sometimes be elusive in the warm analog world. Anyway, I really dig the 564, and I'd love to hear from others who do, as well their experiences with it.
:) Heather

I'll hop on this bandwagon!

Not much to say about the 564 specifically, except it's a great machine with great sound, and a feature set & capability that stomps any other digi- 4-tracker out there. It has all the best design elements that make Tascam Portastudios great! The 564's analog/digital hybrid was an excellent concept. I hate menu driven boxes and PC recording! Aaaggghhh!

Long live the 564! ;)

The 564 has provided me with a great way to do some enjoyable digital recording. As I've said, my background is mostly with Tascam multitrack cassette recorders, aside from a few attempts with Cubasis and Magix software, both of which I didn't enjoy very much. Nothing against computer-based recording, but using menus is just too virtual for an "old school knob twiddler" such as myself. ;) With the 564, I am able to record digitally, but in a very Portastudio-like manner. I really enjoy this old machine. I still remember wanting one back in 1997 when it was new. It seemed (and was) so much cooler than the other digital multitrackers on the market back then. I'll always be behind the curve technologically, anyway. My fastest computer is less than 2GHz, but it does everything I need. Old tools can still be very useful, it all depends on the user and what is desired. For me, the 564 is a source of creative inspiration. I'm glad there's a least one other person out there that still recognizes the coolness of this machine! Hope to hear from a few more, as well.
:cool: Phil

Last edited:
Tascam 564

I've just picked up a Tascam 564 from EBay UK. :) My next job is to see if I can work it. The last time I did some recording was 7/8 years ago and did it in real time in my lounge with a Peavey Mixing Desk 2 Minidisc players and some good luck. It's nice to see that other folk have the same machine incase of problems.

Back