Tascam 488mkII tape transfer to computer help

julianchang

What is the best way to transfer tracks from the 488mkII to my computer?

I've been using an old Toshiba desktop using Adobe Audition to record the final mix from my 8-track, but only mono works. I can't get the stereo setting... do I need to buy some sort of converter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Julian

Check your computer. You may have the input set as "microphone" instead of "line" within Windows. Line should give you 2 track stereo. You will find this setting in the sound card mixer which you can access from the Control Panel of Windows. Which version of Windows are you using?

-MD

Last edited:
Two thoughts...confirm you can get the stereo mix out of the 488 via your home stereo or something. If you know that's working then it is possible you may need a different soundcard. If it is an older computer it is possible that the LINE IN on the soundcard is mono only. You can check by opening up the computer and getting the model and make on the soundcard and then googling it for info. Outside of that you might also find some help on the Computer Recording forum.

Great thanks a bunch for the tips!
I have a Realtek AC97 Audio soundcard... I'm running XP and it looks like there's only a "phone line" option... no "line in" option.

Are there any good cheap external sound cards you recommend?

Thanks so much again for the help!

What I do is use a Tascam US122 USB interface to capture the stereo outputs in "hi-res" into my computer. It works well for me. Hope that helps.

You might confirm you are using a stereo connector to your computer. If it's stereo it will have two black rings on the metal part. If you only have one that would be a mono plug.

Are you saying that you only have a Phone Line jack? The realtek AC97 is a standard soundcard chipset commonly found on onboard soundcards. First make sure you are getting stereo audio out of the 488 as I said earlier. Then as dodge said make sure you are using the right cable (should be two RCA plugs to an 1/8 inch stereo plug just like a small headphone plug with two rings on it). THEN look at theback of the computer. You should have 3 jacks, one for mic, one for line out (stereo to your speakers), and one for line in (should be stereo). Confirm that first. The Phone Line connection is usually on the modem card if you have one of those and is usually by the CAT3 telephone jack on the computer. Confirm all those things and then we have a better idea of where things stand. If that all checks out then you may need a driver update or last resort (because it involves money) get a new soundcard. If you are just trying it out and having fun then any general purpose soundcard will do. Any SoundBlaster card for instance. If you want better quality then I totally concur with nate_dennis in looking at a USB audio interface...basically think of it as an external soundcard over USB. That's how Windows sees it. Something like the US-122 will offer vastly better audio quality (lower noise, higher sampling rate and bit depth and the ability to monitor off the soundcard).

Hope that helps.

hi thanks everyone for the help!
sound quality isn't that high priority for me, so i ended up purchasing a uca202 for $30 (http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Control-UCA202-Audio-Interface/dp/B000J0IIEQ) and it worked great for me.

i used the cheapest rca cables to connect the 8-track to the uca202. after installing the uca202 driver, adobe audition worked just fine with it. i had to set all tracks' assign to 1/L 2/R setting though...

thanks again everyone!

juls

Back