TASCAM 488 vs. 688

herringscales

Hello...
I'm in the market for an analog 8 track recorder. I've been looking at the Tascam 688, but it might be out of my price range. Does anyone know what the essential differences are between the 688 and the 488 models (I suppose the 488 MKIII is the best of the 488's but I'm not sure). I'm looking to record mostly acoustic instruments. and I could live without the midi stuff on the 688. So, Aside from midi features, what are the differences..in terms of inputs, mixing, etc..etc..etc...? Thanks!
Scott

I own the 688. For the longest time I wanted a 488 MKII and I searched high and low for a good deal. Then I found my 688 for $300. I would've been stupid not to take it, and it is really awesome. I have seen the 488 MKII at a music store in Portland, Oregon... I tell ya, the 688 is way bigger, much heavier, and it is SOLID. That's not to say that the 488 is cheaply built, but the 688 really is sweet. I've got a pretty concise description of it at my website - http://www.ieyre.com/music
I think I really lucked out on this purchase. Most folks are still spending $700+ on used 688's... but I tell ya, if you can find a good deal on one (under $550, I'd say) then go for it. It really is a beautiful machine. So many options... Oh, and the little meter bridge that pops up on the back is real nice to have, also. It really makes you feel like a pro..hehe :)

It has 2 headphone jacks on the front, too, if you wanna work on something with a buddy. Overall, a kick-butt multitracker.

But if you can get a 488 MKII for a good deal (under $380, I'd say) then that would be decent, too.

The 488 can record 4 tracks at once, and the 688 can record all 8. (I haven't needed to record more than 4 tracks at once myself, but that's just me.)

The 488 has 2 XLR mic inputs with phantom power. The 688 has 10 XLR inputs with no phantom power, but I think the lack of power is worth the extra inputs. It has 10 1/4" phono jacks as well, which can all be used along with the 10 XLR inputs, using the mixer's "dual" inputs, which let you use all 20 inputs, plus send & returns. (Personally I recommend using line inputs for effects returns, rather than the effects returns, but that's up to you..either way it works.)

I don't even know how to sum it all up. Ask me a specific question and I could answer, but for now I'm kinda just rambling.

Isaiah

I'll second the motion of the 688, I have one and I LOVE it. Everyone who's heard my recordings that I've done on it has been VERY impressed. I was blown away myself when I heard it for the first time...it sounds simply amazing. Something I would not expect from an 8 track cassette recorder. What is my main dislike? Prolly the fact that it's very heavy...in the flight case I got it with it weighs like 90 pounds. Not good if you wanna take it places. But if it's staying in your studio or rarely traveling, I insist you buy one. And search this forum for "688". There was a post quite a while back that lists the essential differences.

if you want the performance of the 688 and if you own a mixer,check out the 238.It will cost less and will give you the Same outstanding performance. If you don't have a mixer and you need the total package,the 688 is the best all in one cassette based studio.a classic

scott,
first, not only do you have a well done web site but
you are also quite talented as a painter. stay inspired
and remember that few things creative are ever really
finished. (someone may have said that somewhere at some
other time).
anyhoot, i am looking to leap into the 8 trak world
and gleaning advise from this space. your post and replies
to it have helped.
do you use all of those inputs for your "simple"
music???
---mike

FZfile said:
scott,
first, not only do you have a well done web site but
you are also quite talented as a painter. stay inspired
and remember that few things creative are ever really
finished. (someone may have said that somewhere at some
other time).
anyhoot, i am looking to leap into the 8 trak world
and gleaning advise from this space. your post and replies
to it have helped.
do you use all of those inputs for your "simple"
music???
---mike

Well, I'll assume you were referring to me - but the name is Isaiah, not Scott. :o
Thanks for the comments on my website. I'm glad you liked it. I don't use all the inputs on my mixer (yet) but in the future I'd like to work on some elaborate projects. I recently discovered the new 16 track digital mixer/recorder from Yamaha - BOY does that thing look sweet! $3,000 is a little pricy, but it's still better than buying an expensive automated mixer, two ADATS and a DARWIN system.

Isaiah

Back