Tascam 488 MK2 input Problem

Alix

Hello everyone. :guitar:
I'm new and seek help for my tascam 488.
i looked up everywhere but can't seem to find an anwser.
My tascam have 8 inputs, but lately i found Input 4 making wierd sound.
i'm talking about the sound i get from it and not from what is on the tape.
when i put a mic or a guitar the sound is so far away and quiet, but when i try to sing louder or play harder the sound just goes full overdrive.
i tried to balence the trim and fader but it doesnt do much.

Is it the preamp thats dead? or something else..

hope to have some help finding the problem.

thanks guys.

Alix

It sounds like a connection issue - like maybe the jack is loose where the guitar/mic lead comes into the unit. or maybe a bad solder wire.
taking it apart is simple enough - just remember that there are two screws in the cassette section that have to come out before the unit can come apart.
A simple fix could be that it's dirty - I've had good results cleaning connections with dipping a cue tip into a tape cleaning solution and dipping the cue tip into the jack.
I do not know anything about the pre-amps (even if there are any) to this unit. I own a 488 early model and not the MKll.

If you do end up trying the Qtip with tape cleaning solution, be careful. I've done this and the cotton can grab onto something in there and come off the qtip. Having a piece of cotton stuck in there is a real bear to get out.

You mean it"s the jack parts Inside the tascam? because i tried lots of different jacks for the guitar and all jacks work, its IN the input that it has a problem..
I'l try to look Inside and clean it but i'm not sure it's that..
I also opened it and all the soldering where good on the 4th track part.

Back