Tascam 488 mixing down...puleezz...

mfdjuve

Ok I've been mixing down from my tascam 488 straight into audacity on my old PC. I connect from the line out on the 488 to the line in on the back of the PC tower.
Results are not very good to say the least.

What do I need in between the 488 and the PC? A/D conv? preamp? if so any decent cheapish ones out there? Am I just better buying a CDR and avoiding the comp all together. (it's an 8 yr old dell desktop)..or will buying somethin 'in between' improve things.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Max

I also use a Tascam 488 and I haven't ever recorded into a computer. I send the signal to a tascam cassett/cd recorder cc122mk (i think) and i've been very pleased with the mixes. I do have a ten band graphic equalizer between the 488 and the cd recorder.
However I think if you do a search on the topic in this forum & tascamforum.com you could find the answer because most people do send it to their pc

I sometimes connect my 488 outs to a compressor which then connects to a noise reduction unit which then connects to my CD recorder. With the FX send, there's also the option of patching in an enhancer on whichever track I feel needs it. I also sometimes just go straight from the 488 to the CD recorder with the output of the CD going to the monitors.

Have a listen to this by our very own Teysha Blue, recorded on a 488. I think it was mixed straight to computer.

You need a two channel computer interface. It doesn't need to have preamps.

Interfaces typically do some combination of:
- Amplifying the signal from a mic to line level (you don't need to do that).
- Doing an AD conversion on a line-level signal.
- Conveying the digital audio data to the computer in a manner that a computer can "understand" (typically by way of a USB, Firewire or PCI-card connection).
- (Also ... kind of a whole other subject, but most interfaces include it: communicating MIDI data to and from the computer through the same connection.)

You need to do the second and third. Based on your message, you don't really have any present need for the first or fourth, but you can consider whether you might someday. The MIDI i/o is sufficiently common that you may just as well wind up with it. It would come in handy should you ever want to connect a MIDI controller to your computer to play soft synths, or use a control surface with your software (not very likely with Audacity ....), or use your computer to control something external with MIDI sysex or the like.

The cheapest route to go would be to look on eBay. Boxes that can do what you want to a good standard have been around for at least several years, and musician-types are always wanting to upgrade (or just being fickle), so there's no great shortage of used ones. I'm not sufficiently up on all the makes and models to give you a complete list, but among the brands to consider would be MAudio and Tascam.

What do you mean by results not very good? distortion? low levels? noise?

Is the line in directly on the motherboard, or is it a sound card, if so what kind of sound card? Are you sure it is line in and not microphone in? (which would probably result in distortion) the A/D onboard a motherboard might be a very cheap chipset. Concur with the above, a decent M-Audio sound card can be had for US$100'sh new or much better used.

Have you made sure that the levels are optimized via audacity preferences, and/or whatever software controls the card? The monitoring on Audacity isn't that great, but you should have a lot green "VU" (high enough) but the wave pattern shouldn't get cut off (too high - distortion) what does the wav look like in Audacity. ALso, you might look at Kristal which is a freeware DAW if you find Audacity too limiting. (I've used Audacity just fine for simple two track copying stuff from old cassettes to cd via a Delta 66)

In theory, line out to line in shouldn't be a problem, what kind of cabling are you using?

That Teysha blue stuff sound fantastic! never ever thought a 488 could sound that good? Surely there's been a lot touching up with a computer..and it helps that he knows what he's doing.

I'm sure most of the issues I have are from the actual recordings themselves. Anyway I just want the best out of mixing down etc. I do sometimes get distortion, when there is no distortion listening direct from the 488. But when it's transferred, some tracks distort sometimes...at certain place may I add.

I go from the line outs on the 448 to the line in on the back of the pc tower...(blue 1/8 inch)

Not sure what soundcard I have, but I'm sure it's not particularly good (pc is 8 yrs old).
So would a new soundcard help? I'm not sure why i'd need a computer interface, Many don't mention anything about A/D conversion, just preamps. I was looking at something like the m audio DMP3.

cheers

So would a new soundcard help? I'm not sure why i'd need a computer interface, Many don't mention anything about A/D conversion, just preamps. I was looking at something like the m audio DMP3.
The DMP3 isn't a computer interface. It's a mic pre. In your application (mixing down from the 488 to a computer) its utility would be approximately zero.

If anyone has ever called the DMP3 a "computer interface" he was either confused or stumbling over his words.

The interface could be on a PCI card, or it could connect with USB or Firewire. The USB route, in your situation, might be the easiest, cheapest and most flexible, but it's up to you (and somewhat depends on facts unknown to the rest of us, such as what connections your computer has ... though if it dates to 2003, it should at least have a few USB 2.0 ports).

Just for the sake of completeness, though the discussion seems to have gone elsewhere, here's why you want an interface rather than a CDR:

- The typical consumer-oriented CD recorder will only make 16-bit, 44.1k recordings. Even a modest interface will give you 24 bits. The sample rate probably doesn't matter that much, but you'll have the option of doing a 48k recording, if that's more compatible with something you want to do with it. You could theoretically use a 96k (or 88.2k) sample rate, though that might tax your computer and probably doesn't get you much.

- There are some machines that'll record "higher" formats (e.g. Alesis Masterlink), but they'd cost a good bit more than a basic interface.

- If you want to get the stereo master into Audacity for minor editing and processing, it would be a cumbersome multi-step process of recording to the CD, putting that into your computer's CD drive and then importing the track into Audacity.

- Consumer units typically require "music" CDRs and implement the SCMS copy-management protection system. That's not the most horrible handicap (if you're really just using the CDR as a step to import into the computer, it may not matter), but you do need to have special CDRs, and it can get in the way.

- If you're recording into the computer, you'll likely have more useful and flexible metering.

- Consumer units often include a compressor or limiter on the analog input that you would just as soon bypass.

- The analog path and the converters on a consumer CD recorder are likely to be worse than even a budget interface, though the difference may be subtle.

- A CD player, at least compared to an interface, is relatively full of things that can break or go wrong.

- The interface would also give you a bit more useful, flexible and higher-fidelity route for getting audio out of your computer than what you now have.

How will an interface differ from going direct to line in from the 488? sorry to ask so many questions...i'm learning:)

Apologies for bringing up this old thread but I'm in the same situation...can anyone recommend a decent audio interface? thanks!

Apologies for bringing up this old thread but I'm in the same situation...can anyone recommend a decent audio interface? thanks!
If you're looking for a decent 2 channel unit to interface the 488 with a PC, the Tascam US122 series is a nice, inexpensive choice.

You'd be better off with a new thread will, but tell us what you're looking for.

Do you just need line inputs like the OP?
usb or firewire
M$ or osX
Anything else you can think of.

Well I have an EMU 0204 but the results aren't that great, there seems to be a slight sort of echo/reverb in the transfers...I'm using line inputs but I have to turn the volume on the fader to about 1 or 2 to stop clipping on the computer. This is a USB and I'm on a Windows laptop...recording into audacity (or reaper)

Back