Tascam 424 MKIII or just 4 tracks in general(NEED HELP)

keglamorphic

Hey,
im new here.

i was wondering is it possible to record 4 seperate tracks. like say i have an awesome rythm guitar part. Then i wanna add in a solo. Can i record them both at seperate times and then put them in together? so it sounds like 2 guitars are playing live when actually it was me both times.

is this possible to do it on a 4 tracker alone or do you need extra equipment?

Yo KeglarWhoChanges Shapes:]

Most 4 trackers will let you overdub. This means you lay down one or two tracks, reset those recorded tracks to a CUE mode usually, and add another track, and another.

You don't really want to bounce tracks with a 4 tracker because you will lose control of the individual track. Like if you put a good guitar solo with a bass line, you can tweak the track but only the track. So, whatever tweaks you make will affect the bass and guitar and that doesn't work most of the time.

Suggest you get at least an 8 tracker and get a digital box. For a start, the Yamaha MD8 is easy to use, gives you 8 tracks, it does not give you CD quality but it gives you a good sound. It will take two effects boxes, and has phantom power for mics that require it.

And, digital tracking means NO waiting for rewind, as does tape.

Keep experimenting and recording and have fun.
Green Hornet

:D :D :p

A 4-tracker of almost any sort will enable you to record, as you've described,

but, IMO, the Tascam 424mkIII is the best cassette 4-track out there, and blows away those little digital portable units that have just hit the market.

I think your best money is on the 424mkIII, for features, ease of use, and sound quality.

**Also, this week at Guitar Center, they're blowing 424mkIII's out the door for $329! Get 'em while theyre hot.**

$329. That's a rock bottom price on the best 4-tracker out there. I already have a 424mkIII, but at that price I'd consider getting a second one, just for the heck of it.

Yo, Horn man of the Greenest variety,

It's funny how they are always competing. -Capitalists!

Getting great deals on great gear is a great thing. [No bet, though].;) I think I saw on another post that Keg already got the 424mkIII, which I think is a good choice.

Now he's gone from "can I..." to "how do I..." questions.;)

424mkIII

Hey Reel this dude,
I think I read somewhere here, and can't seem to find it now, that you could lay down say 4 tracks, mix them to cd, then record the cd back into the 424 onto 2 tracks(stereo) and then use the other 2 tracks again. This seems exceptable, but not sure how to hook up the cd player to the 424. It makes sense that the outs of the cd player would have to go to the mic or line in of the 424. Any thoughts on this or is this just nonsense. I am thinking that if this is possible that the mixed cd tracks should sound pretty good going back to the 424. I would also think that if this possible then you, of all recording dudes, have already done so. Let me know. I need to know. I want to know. It's an addiction. Oh no, I'm opening another beer. Quick, hit the record button, I feel a rif coming on. It's a good thing to have a wife that takes care of my money, cause I know I would be in the doggy house and the poor house if I didn't. Every time she sees me at the computer she says, "what are you buying now" in that special tone of voice that I've come to love. Let's go R E C O R D I N G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dtb

Yeah, recording is an addiction for some people, and an obsession for more. Me? -Geez

I'm a big gearhead & tapehead. You've heard my music, and may remember having seen pics of my studio. I'm a big, big recording gear junky, and there's hardly anything else you can call it.

-You're lucky, with the wife & all, watching the funds, so count your blessings. Some of us are not that lucky.-

IMO, being a recording gear junky is understandable. Gear purchase prices on lots of great gear seems to be coming down, overall, over time, so that's all in our favor.

-F/I, 424mkIII's and SM57's aren't expensive.

If your wife is thrifty while you're a gear junky, then you're ok, but if she was also a big spender, that could be trouble. Anyway, you're lucky, count your blessings, and it can stay that way.

--------------

RE: -Recording a mixed-down 4-track cassette to CD, then dubbing the CD mixdown back to 2 tracks on the Portastudio?:

>Sure, that's an idea. It's the "external bounce" method. It does work, as described, and the CD transfer to tape does usually sound fine, relative to the rest of the tape. That will work, as described, and you're fine to try that. Your mixing skills are pretty good, and I'm sure you can handle it.

As for myself, being a non-reformed gear and recording junky, I'm neck deep in it all, but I've practically cold-turkey'd from the Jones of "bouncing", 'cept for the occasional, casual use. Sure, I've used it extensively in the past.

Now, if I feel my 4-track productions Jones for a LOT of bouncing, I simply move to 8-track/reel format. If I ever feel my 8-track productions are Jones-ing for excessive bouncing,...

I've got the 24-track/reel, right there. [What do you think all the M30's are for?]

-I know, not everyone has a 24-track/reel to fall back on, however, so far, my best productions have not yet outgrown the 8-track reel format.

-I've got a 24-track/reel, but I'm at home on an 8-track/reel and 4-track/cassette, so go figure.

dtb, I hardly think there's a worse gear junky than me, is there?

=> I've been in the dog house [w/wife] repeatedly [over gear], and have gone broke, literally, 'cause I'm an incurable gear junky, and my wife's NOT thrifty, like yours.

Thank god for family, or I'd be bankrupt, and I've now learned to control my gear buying habits. Having bought everything I ever wanted, last year, controlling my gear buying habit's fairly easy, at this point. You are never cured, though. " <= That's no joke.
:eek:

Attachments

• im000790a.jpg
    im000790a.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 46
MY next gear purchases,...

will be the PE-40, 4 channel parametric EQ, and the MX-80, 8-channel mic preamp, all TASCAM, of course.

I want to take these two components, the PE-40 & MX-80, and match them up the the 234 Syncaset, in a small rackmount arrangement.

-That's it for my planned future gear purchases, currently, but...

>[With the gear I already have], I'd like to construct the ultimate portastudio,... which would be:

- a half-height rolling rack cabinet, with heavy duty wheels & heavy duty handles,... -a Tascam 38 mounted in the base, and an M30 mixer slant-mounted on the top, in one self contained, rolling, waist high package.

-Dave's "Ultimate- 1/2"-8-track-Porta-Mega-Studio"

I don't call myself 'Reel' for nothing.

</DA

BTW, dtb, re: the external bounce method,...

You're right in assuming I've used the external bounce method.

Of course, back when I was using the track-bounce technique a lot, I used "tape" to do the external bounce, and I've actually never done it with a CD.

All the principals are the same, though, and the CD should dub to back to the Portastudio just fine, no doubt, clearer overall than a tape-dub would be.

/DA:)

wow

I thought my little "space in the universe" was crowded. "Man, you got gear". That's using the b-ball term of "you got game" in the home recording world. I don't have anything and I think I got to much.
Question? Do we buy gear to really make our recordings better?
Or, to impress our buds? Do we not have anything better to do with our small paychecks? Do we do it to piss off the little lady? Hmmmm. Where did that come from? Is the "world" a better place because we have gear? Is your own "world" a better place by having gear?
One thing for sure is that by being a gear junkie, it keeps some of us from becoming other kinds of junkies. Except for beer. Must put back $$ for a beer run.
I'm trying the external bounce today with the cd. I'll let you know how it works.
We gear junkies have got to stick together. I would hate to see all those gear pushers go under. HA.
dtb

Having lots of great gear enhances everything, doesn't it?

Of course it does. Just ask any other gear junky, and you'll get the same answer.;)

-See, just to clarify, I didn't go broke 'cause of my gear buying habit, but I spent myself into the danger zone. It was my wife, after having seen me spend like there's no tomorrow, who decided she's entitled to go and spend it up, just like me. -THAT's what broke the bank.-

Like I said, if your wife is thrifty, count your blessings. -Anything less, and you could end up like me!

=============

The CD-external-bounce should be fine, and is a very useful technique. As for me, I've cold-turkey'd off of track bouncing long ago, but I still have the occasional little 'bounce', just not done to extremes.

Oh yeah,

Reel,
I know the feelings. I'm retired and on a fixed income( for our family monthly budget) but I work part-time from March thru Nov. cutting grass at a golf course. The deal we have is the money from the part-time job supports our golf habit and my recording habit. Gee, this sounds like an addiction. The worst part of this is the thought of waiting for the $$ to add up for a new toy. Right now I need a bunch of cords so I can use all aspects of my new mixer, and I may be off a little but I'm thinking around 150.00 would take care of it. And I have to wait untill the end of March before I can even think about it. This seems to keep everyone happy for now.

I did the cd external bounce yesterday and it really surprised me as to how well it worked. It's good to know you have this when it's needed. I also wrote and recorded a first demo song for future development and I used a line in the songthat goes like this: "Everybody loves my wife". Looking for points!!!
dtb

That's right, dtb, butter her up,...

Unfortunately, "My Love- Does It Good" was already written by Paul McCartney. I think a cover version would be a real hit with the wife, though.

Wives, girlfriends & school-age children can make great 'tape-ops', too. [Instead of "will you please leave me alone", you'd say, "will you please help me with this recording?"] It goes a long way, in good will points.

When I recorded my cover of "Love Me Do", my 7 year old son was the tape-op:
-"Are you ready, Dad?"
-"Yes, ok, now press PLAY and REC at the same time"...

Not only is it convenient, but it's fun, and a good way to spread the joys of recording to the whole family.
:)

Once, my 7-year old son and I made a 'scratch' demo tape, [on the 388], of me on guitar, and him playing drums... Yes, my 7-year old son plays drums, and pretty well for the age of 7. Anyway, as you might guess, the tape sounded pretty rough, but since that day, he's also been hooked on recording! [Like father/like son!]. -"Let's record again, Dad. -Dad, when can we record again?"

Of course, that was several months back, but he definitely asked to record again, many times after that. We have not had a chance to record together again, but I'll bring him into the studio again, recording just for fun, someday in the near future.

-Also, when he's old enough, I've got a PortaOne or other Portastudio he can use as his own,... when he's old enough & ready for the responsibility of taking care of the equipment, which is still several years off, in the future.

Keep those reels spinning, keep honing your craft, and above all, have fun!:) :)

yo reel

Lucky, lucky, lucky. Just wait a few more years when the baby leaves for college. Both of my boys are off. Home alone with the little lady. More time for lots of things. But I miss them all the time.
I've been playing music for 30 years and really into recording for around 5 years and neither of my sons had any interest in either.it seems like all they wanted to do is drive, girls, party, and be with their friends. Wait!!!!!!!!!!!They are just like me.
dtb

Yeah, we'll see. Every day's a new experience.

With my kids, at their age, they LOVE to come into the studio and play all the instruments. Obviously, being a musician and music lover myself, I indulge them and give them various child-sized instruments.

It's uncanny the melodic and fresh lines can sometimes come from the little hands of children. I think all my kids are natural musicians, of course.:)

REEL; I'm reely lost here on the part, that I was following also, when he asked you how to hook up the 424 to the pc. I think he has an external cd burner and I have one built into my hewlett packard pc. Would you please explain how to hook it up from the start. When I take 3 tracks and bounce them over to track 4, my lack of exp. glows and a once good recording gets mushed. Plus I can't afford the other solution in buying an 8 track for now but the 424 is a beautiful piece of equipment and with the right guidance one can achieve great results- as I've seen DAVID WILLS,[the Tascam engineer and video instructor] pull off in his videos. He makes mention that the Beatles did SGT. Peppers on a 4-track less than the 424??? I think that even if I had the money to go 8 tracks right now that I'd rather wait and learn this 4-track completely and proper bouncing and mixing- as I feel that in the future this exp. will enhance and allow me to progress with a much more detailed understanding. On another note I read recently that 85% of all major artists have their material on some type of tape. Not really quite sure what that means but if you or anyone knows anything about this here would you explain..??!! Thanxxxx
TOMMY.. ..

dude

Hey T-3,
I'll be waiting for the answer too. Sorry, I think Reel and I got to " reeling" about life. Wrong forum, eh. You are right. I have an external cd burner that I mix down to from the 424. I also would like more info on how to go to the computer and be able to use it's burner. For 1 thing I'm sure it's a better burner. I'm not sure if Reel uses a computer for his stuff.
dtb

to DTB & REEL

I hear ya . Even though I don't know how to work most of the stuff it's just cool looking and thinking about it and all the possibilities. I'm sure there's someone here that can help us solve our problem which is probably a moe-hill to them. I definetely think that the cd bounce would make one hell of a difference in quality, etc.. and lead ya on to further oppurtunities.
One thing strange though since I 've gotten into this and that's I spend usually about 2-4 hrs. trying to get things right and end up playing only about 10 mins. or so. Crazy.. Good luck and let me know if you find out how first and I'll do the same.
TOMMY.. ..

No doubt, I'm reelin'. To record from the 424mkIII to a PC based CD recorder???

The short answer, is that:

1) You need an RCA-1/8" Stereo adapter cable.

2) Plug the LINE OUTs of your 424mkIII to the LINE IN of your normal stereo soundcard.

3) You'll need some sort of audio recording software. Your recording format is cd-quality WAV files: 16 bit/44.1khz/Stereo.

Recording software comes in many titles, etc, and there's also Windows Sound recorder, which is not my first choice. If you have an older Hewlett Packard Pavilion, it may have "Media Rack" or some similar recording software, preloaded. "HP Media Rack" would be suitable for stereo-to-wav recording, and is based on Willowpond software, at www.willowpond.com

-What you need most, is audio recording software that has good peak/level meters. [The recording software I use is Magix Music Studio v5, which is not expensive, and v6 is out currently].

Some audio recording software can be downloaded, and some can be purchased. Although price ranges on audio recording software varies quite a bit, features are remarkably similar.

Assume you're like me, and looking for a high quality, low priced recording software package, and that's MAGIX Music Studio. It's full blown 16 or 24 track DAW software, with all the bells & whistles of other similar recording programs, but I use it mainly for stereo mastering to WAV files. Magix Music Studio v6 can be found on BestBuy.com for about $30. Shop your best deal on PC recording software.

Anyway, the point is, that you'll need fully functional recording software, preferably with good level/peak meters. This helps a lot, in the mastering stage, to make sure you're not overloading the soundcard input stage.

4) The actual recording commences, when you switch the 424mkIII's channels 1-4 to TAPE, and REMIX the 4 tape tracks to stereo, using the MAIN MIX section of the Porta-.

Using the 424's main stereo mix as source, the LINE OUT jacks are cabled to your soundard's LINE IN. Then, playback the tape/mixdown on the 424, while recording on the computer recording software, into WAV format, 16 bit/44.1khz/Stereo.

5) When you're done recording WAV files to your PC hard disc, then you'll lay the WAV files out in a sequence, and burn the CD.

I know Magix Music Studio v6 has 'cd layout/burning' feature, but I've never used this feature of the Magix software. I use Adaptec Easy CD Creator v3.5, for laying WAV files out in sequence, and actual burning of the CD. Adaptec Easy CD Creator is now known as Roxio Easy CD Creator. Anyway, similar CD layout & burning software titles exist, so shop around a little.

-The short answer? Do I ever have a short answer?

Thx/DA

Back