Tascam 424 mixing down to add more tracks - trouble with DBX

paintedtape

so I've scoured the archives of this board to avoid asking another dumb question, but I've come up with nothing that deals with my situation directly...

I've recorded my band using all four tracks of the 424 mkiii, and my plan was to mix it all down onto another type-II cassette tape and add vocals with the two new free tracks. Is this crazy? is there a better way to add vocals? well that's not my question: my problems lies in the dbx of the tascam. I'm mixing onto an NAD 6325 stereo cassette deck, and everything sounds great when I play back the newly dubbed stereo mix on the NAD. however, when I play the new tape on the tascam with the dbx on it sounds very 'wooshy' and inconsistent. when I turn it off it sounds better but certainly nowhere near as good as it when I play the same cassette (the stereo mix) on the NAD.

I'm really unsure what to do. I'm hoping there is some better way to approach this, though I've tried every combo of dbx on/off on both the tascam and the NAD and it's still not working.

I'm thinking of throwing in the towel and just recording the vocals on the computer, but I don't wanna do that cause it doesn't sound anywhere near as good to me nor is it anywhere near as much fun.

The dbx on the Tascam and Dolby B on the NAD will be incompatible.

I think your best approach might be to record from your 424mkIII to the computer/soundcard into a WAV file. Then burn a CD of the work and dub back onto tape from the CD to the MkIII. Or, if you want to skip the CD burning step, record back into the 424 directly from the puter/soundcard Line Outs.

You're on the right track, but popping the tape from the NAD to the Tascam won't get you there. If you have a friend with a 424mkIII, then just dub from Porta-to-Porta.
:spank::eek:;)

yes I cannot believe I didn't think of doing that!!!

this is a truly excellent forum. gonna do the tapecomptape thing. thank you reel person

dbx issues

Keep your eye out for cassette decks featuring dbx as they can be used as encoder/decoders is some cases.

Keep your eye out for cassette decks featuring dbx as they can be used as encoder/decoders is some cases.

If any tape recorder is encoded with DBX it has to be decoded to playback correctly. So that means if you want the NR system to work properly then always leave the switch ON....unless I misunderstood something in your statement,I am correct :D

Back