Tascam 424 = bad guitar tone?

arf-bagel

Anybody who can help me get a good guitar sound out of my Tascam 424 4-track will have my undying gratitude. I can get good bass, drums and keyboard but my guitar sound always sounds so squished. My eq bands don't seem to help much, just a tiny tweak of the two mids yields very wide results but my tone always sounds like it's vacuum sealed in Folgers can. On this website I've read about a direct box but have never seen one personally. Are they any good? Or is it that with my Tascam I got what I payed for? Or is it that I don't have any f*cking idea what I'm doing. I run a line out from the back of my amp into the 4-track. My amp is a Fender Performer 1000 and I have a cab with 2 15's (Peavy.) Live, my sound is great.

Thanks for any help.
Shannon
Lumpygravy1@juno.com

Hey Arfbagel, not that I'm any pro or anything, but I don't think a line out of the amp is the best option. I think most people would say micing the amp is a much better option than running the line out of the amp. If you have a dynamic mike, you should be able to run it straight into your 4-track without a problem. I have gotten some halfway decent sound going direct with some pedals, but for a good lead sound I think your best bet is micing the amp.

Thanks guys. If anybody else reads this do you agree? Does my guitar sound reedy cuz the line out is compressing the signal?

mike the cabinet. Even a $40 audio-technica will be much better. And sm-57's once you've fooled around with placement long enough and located the sweet spot, sound great. You should be able to pic up a 57 used for around $50

-Jett Rocker

If your playing loud, place the mic about 12" from the speaker pointed across, not strait at it. The center of the cone will give you more treble and the outter rim will give you more bass. Most importantly, EXPERIMENT! Try to find that one spot you love.

Back