Tascam 414 MKII vs. Fostex x-34

orificium

I'm not sure which to get...

Was hoping someone could help me out.

Basically these are the features I like about both of them, and the features each other lacks.

Fostex has the feature that looks like it might benefit me most (although I have no experience with recording, so I may be wrong). But it has something called Auto-Routing where I can route any input channel into onto any track. I assume I can route as many channels as I like to any track (confirm this please if anyone knows?). Now, can the Tascam model do this? Other than the fact that it looks more user-friendly (not sure if that's bad though because it looks kinda chinsy too), that's about the only feature it has over the Tascam model.

The Tascam has more inputs, a HiZ Guitar Input (which I like a lot), and dbx noise reduction (which I think is better than the fostex's dolby, but I may be wrong. confirm?)

With all this said, could someone recommend me the better of the two?

I think Tascam kicks Foztex's butt no matter what product it is. :)
I got a used Tascam 688 (a MONSTER machine!) for $350.

Isaiah

I didn't even realize that I misspelled Fostex... My reputation is ruined!!! 'Course, I could always fix it, but I wanted to whine about it instead.

I love my 688. I'd hold it under my arm in bed as if it were a teddy bear if it weren't so bulky. :D

Isaiah

information and specs

Where can I get information and specs on the Tascam 688 model. Also are there any other 8-track recorders out there with atleast 10 XLR inputs?

The Tascam 688 is not hard to come by, although its specifications are. You might check eBay. Good sellers will include good descriptions.

Isaiah

That's funny that you say that. That's where I've been looking, I've found some specs on it. But I was hoping to get as much information as possible. Maybe you could point out some major aspects of it?

Well ...it's an awesome machine. I really like the way you can assign pretty much any inputs you want to whichever channels you like. It takes some learning, but it's great once you get the hang of it. Plus, you can save everything in its memory, so you don't have to go switching everything around when doing mixdowns & such. It has real smooth pots & pans (I like saying that) and the sweepable mid is a nice feature if you wanna play around and make a sort of "wah wah" effect. :)

Isaiah

It's alright, it just doesn't compare to the 688. It's more of a 424 with 8 tracks than a 688 is. Let's just say that the 688 was aimed more towards pros when it was released in 1989 at a price of $3500 or so.

Back