Tascam 414 mkII help

scottianstewart

Decided to get into analog recording, and what better a place to start than with a simple 4 track right?

Anybody have this model? If so I would love some feedback/tips !

But the real reason I'm posting this is because I want to know the best way to get the recordings from the machine onto my MacBook pro, to use with GarageBand or logic. I understand this is probably a very nooby question to ask, but regardless, I need to know.

Thanks!

The 414 mkII is a great machine. I used to have one, and it's capable of some really nice recordings. In fact, my wife and I recorded this tune on that machine with an Octava MC-012 mic through an M-audio DMP3 preamp into the 414.

SoundClick artist: chad johnson - page with MP3 music downloads

The easiest way to get the recordings into the CPU would be to use an RCA to 1/8" cable. The RCA end would plug into the Line Out jacks on the 414, and the 1/8" end would plug into the Line In on the Mac. At least, I'm guessing the CPU would have an 1/8" line in. I know most PCs do, but I'm not sure about Macs.

Hosa Stereo Y-cable Mini Male-Two RCA Males 6 Foot | Musician's Friend

Thanks!
That's what I though, I was just wondering if there was something even a bit better. But sounds good to me

That recording sounds really good! Question about how you did it. Does the mic just go straight into the preamp and then the preamp to the 414? (I'm telling you, I'm a noob)

You can certainly spend more money and get a dedicated AI (audio interface) for the computer. They can connect all kinds of ways: firewire, USB, PCI, etc. However, if I were you I'd just start with that first. You can always upgrade later if you're not happy with the sound quality. It's quite funny though. I've been a part of two blind tests that compared a built-in sound card to a $2,500 Apogee interface, and you know what? The results came up pretty much 50/50 both times. Not one person out of the five was able to pick the Apogee even halfway consistently. People listen with their eyes a lot, and there have been many studies to prove this.

Anyway, yes I plugged the Octava mic into the DMP3 preamp and then ran a 1/4" cable from the DMP3 to the input of the 414. I couldn't plug the mic straight into the 414 because it's a condenser mic, which means it requires phantom power to operate. Since the 414, though it does have XLR inputs, doesn't provide PP, I used the DMP3, which does have PP.

If you do use an external preamp, keep in mind that you won't need to push the trim up much at all, if any, on the 414 because the external pre will be outputting a line level already.

Thanks!
That's what I though, I was just wondering if there was something even a bit better. But sounds good to me

That recording sounds really good! Question about how you did it. Does the mic just go straight into the preamp and then the preamp to the 414? (I'm telling you, I'm a noob)

Back