Tascam 388 - Pinch Roller not engaging

twainband

the Pinch Roller has stopped engaging on my Tascam 388

i've got the deck open and the solenoid is exposed
seems "sticky" when i try to exercise the inner rod

i don't know how to properly test for solenoid health
when i engage the Tension Arm to simulate playback,
there is no visible/audible response from the pinch roller solenoid
but am i approaching this the wrong way ?

thanks for any guidance, hope yall are having a nice day

sure thing, thanks

(can't seem to upload directly to hr.com)

the pinch roller is supposed to be engaged during playback, right?
i was trying to resolve a transport issue and no amount of servo tweeking would do the trick

Thanks for doing that…though I was hoping to see the action of the pinch roller itself…I can’t even see the pinch roller in the shadow there. Is your capstan shaft spinning? You should be able to raise your tension arms and the capstan shift should spin. Is it?

ok here's a sample in better light

weirdly, playback is sort of behaving this time around

Okay, I don't know why the pinch roller isn't moving, and that's absolutely a problem, but the tape is definitely threaded wrong because it needs to go between the capstan shaft and the roller. Otherwise the tape speed will change as the reel goes from start to end.

oh.. that's embarrassing
thanks for catching that JP

corrected the problem, but no effect on the motionless roller

One problem that occurs with this vintage of Teac machines is a rubber cushion on the plunger of the solenoid turns to tarry goo and it sticks…won’t readily extend, but I don’t see that part is part of the pinch roller solenoid on the 388. And regardless I think that would effect the pinch roller releasing from the capstan shaft. So the first thing I would do is remove the dress panel, inspect for mechanical binding, and if none check the voltage across the solenoid coil in PLAY. It should be around 24V.

One problem that occurs with this vintage of Teac machines is a rubber cushion on the plunger of the solenoid turns to tarry goo and it sticks…won’t readily extend, but I don’t see that part is part of the pinch roller solenoid on the 388. And regardless I think that would effect the pinch roller releasing from the capstan shaft. So the first thing I would do is remove the dress panel, inspect for mechanical binding, and if none check the voltage across the solenoid coil in PLAY. It should be around 24V.
Hey ! sorry for replying here i don’t know if i could directly message you on here. But i’m having a problem with my 388. The left stereo out on the back doesn’t work nor does the left vu meter. In mono i get sound in both headphones and speakers, but in stereo the left disappears. Where would the problem be located, i tried cleaning the Master buss PBC and the Monitor PBC, all solder joints look okay, any tips ?

Back