Tascam 388 access send/rcv for compressor...

Not sure if this is a dumb question or not...

On the 388, is it possible to "chain" the Access send/rcv jacks to route a compressor across multiple channels simultaneously? Still trying to visualize it, not sure how to implement what I'm asking, but I know I can't send a compressor through the effects buss, therefore I would use the send/rcv jacks per channel. But that gives me only one channel at a time to compress. If I wanted to compress say, 2 or 3 channels of drum tracks simultaneously and have it hit tape, could I chain the send/rcv jacks or does this not work?

Just want a way to send the compressor to multiple channels at once ... or is this why studios tend to have several rack compressors....

To do multiple drums tracks you might buss it all to a stereo group then compress the whole group, but equally you could do each individual recorded track (usually just snare and kick) and then return these to the group and then compress the whole group. A multi-channel compressor like the Presonus ACP-8 or the ACP-88 might be what you're looking for?

Al

I guess I could also record them dry and then bounce them into separate tracks individually with the compressor on each of those tracks... I'm going to likely use a 3 mic setup; kick, snare, dynamic overhead/front of kit - into 3 channels. My compressor is a DBX 164 that is a stereo compressor but can be Y-cabled to act as mono. I guess if I got myself one more DBX 163 I could pull off what I want to do. Multi-channel compressor sounds like a good idea but I like the grossness the DBX adds to the sound :)

Yeah I think your idea of recording dry and then bouncing is the ticket, or picking up another unit. The compressor is going to treat the audio differently if it is summed...it will be harder for you get what you want out of each voice of the kit. That's a primary reason a dynamics processor is typically used as an insert effect vs a send effect.

Yeah, exactly.. I was trying to save money but that's not what this hobby is about, right? :)

So I bit that bullet and found/bought another vintage DBX 163 unit.

Last edited:
Back