Tascam 38

Abominable ID

Hey all,

Just bought a deck that has seen better days, but seems to function completely. I would like to restore it to the best of my ability. After scanning ebay for hours, it seemed to me that many of the deck parts and housing pieces for the models (32, 34, 38) might be identical. Is this true? What about the reel motors? Obviously not the tape heads and channel oriented systems. My machine is missing a fair amount of the housing screws and also the tape head and counter faceplate. For example; would the feet of a 32 fit on a 38? Thanks in advance.

-Ash

RFR

Ash,
Welcome to the zoo!

Don't know the answers to your questions. But the people in the analog forum do.
:D

You should post there. You'll get a lot more traction.
The tascam forum is waay too broad considering the amount of recording related products they have made.

Again, welcome.
:D

The feet are common but they are plastic and they get old and brittle and can break. I find that the wood feet make by Ken in TX are much more robust and better looking.
Depending on size he may need measurements but this is the guy I use to have made feet for any deck even Otari machines.
kenstroup@tx.rr.com

Motors for the 38 are 1/2 tape reel motors. They are found in 40, 50 series decks but not 34 or 32 as they are 1/4" machines. They usually only need cleaning of the motor commutator otherwise they do not fail.

The capstan motor may be the same as the 34 or 32 but I would suggest the use of the BR20 motor that could be attached to the servo board that the capstan motor is part of now. The BR20 motor is a 12 watt motor more meant for 1/2" type machines.

Hardware on the outside is easy to find as I stock a lot of different screws that I obtain from either E bay from China or I order them from McMaster Carr. Case screw should be 4mm/ washer bought separately and the rear plastic case screws are 3mm X6mm length.

If any other questions arise on these machines you can contact me and I will relate to you what I know. I fix these on a regular basis so I deal with all of what you see there.

The head cover can be maybe found at Audio Pro in MA or Reelprosoundguys.com in Utah as they part out machines regularly plus there are some on E bay now and then. You have to establish a search and have it E mail you when comes up- they are not made anymore and have been out of stock for a great many years. The reel motors have ball bearings in them and they do not need oil. If the bearing become noisy in fast wind then the motor is taken apart and new bearing slide on the shaft then put the motor back. I have only had to replace one bearing in my 45 years if working on these and it was because coke was spilled into the machine and motor. That was a Tascam 52.

Cabeco

The feet are common but they are plastic and they get old and brittle and can break. I find that the wood feet make by Ken in TX are much more robust and better looking.
Depending on size he may need measurements but this is the guy I use to have made feet for any deck even Otari machines.
kenstroup@tx.rr.com

Motors for the 38 are 1/2 tape reel motors. They are found in 40, 50 series decks but not 34 or 32 as they are 1/4" machines. They usually only need cleaning of the motor commutator otherwise they do not fail.

The capstan motor may be the same as the 34 or 32 but I would suggest the use of the BR20 motor that could be attached to the servo board that the capstan motor is part of now. The BR20 motor is a 12 watt motor more meant for 1/2" type machines.

Hardware on the outside is easy to find as I stock a lot of different screws that I obtain from either E bay from China or I order them from McMaster Carr. Case screw should be 4mm/ washer bought separately and the rear plastic case screws are 3mm X6mm length.

If any other questions arise on these machines you can contact me and I will relate to you what I know. I fix these on a regular basis so I deal with all of what you see there.

The head cover can be maybe found at Audio Pro in MA or Reelprosoundguys.com in Utah as they part out machines regularly plus there are some on E bay now and then. You have to establish a search and have it E mail you when comes up- they are not made anymore and have been out of stock for a great many years. The reel motors have ball bearings in them and they do not need oil. If the bearing become noisy in fast wind then the motor is taken apart and new bearing slide on the shaft then put the motor back. I have only had to replace one bearing in my 45 years if working on these and it was because coke was spilled into the machine and motor. That was a Tascam 52.
Would a Capstan motor cause PSU fuses 405 and 406 to burn also a capacitor 25v 100uf

Fuses do not burn out for small reason but very big trouble reasons. In all my years I do not remember the fuses burning out due to a motor problem. They usually go out when amateurs do things in the deck and make sparks. I was just called the other night and there are no DC capstan motors left to buy. NOW things are going to get real interesting and I bet more costly.
In the Tascam 48 I have caught Marcon caps shorting and I think they were 220uFd at 25V. I pull them all out as I no longer trust Marcon caps. You get a more reliable machine by changing them with fresh caps of a better brand. I use Nichicon, Panasonic FC or FM, Wurth and TDK-Epcos is also now in the caps manufacturing.