Tascam 38 won't playback when recorded

steelman48

Tascam 38 Recorder won't playback when recorded. The tape is in sync mode when recorded and in playback. Meters move when in record but not in playback. Tape is threaded correctly. I checked fuses with tester. Cleaned heads with alcohol. The recorder tape already has some recorded music on it so I know it plays that o k. Don't know where to go from here. Got any ideas? Thanks for you time.
Mike

Last edited:
Questions: Do you have recorded program on all 8 channels? When machine is in "input" or "source" can you here the incoming audio via the machines outputs?

No, there are only 3 tracks recorded of the 8. When the machine is in sync you can hear the audio and the meters do move of the 3 tracks.

You seem to have problems with every machine you come in contact with. Do you have the owners manual for this one?

Rick,
Before your quick to assume that I might be like a bull in a china closet I bought out a deceased persons small studio with assumption that only one unit didn't work. As I got it to it there were 3 of the 5 reel to reels that didn't work. So for with the help of some kind ears I have pretty much got 2 of the 3 reels going with what I'm hoping its something I have overlooked. I don't usually deal with these kind of things anymore but I have them now and need to get them going to where I can sell them and get back to a normal life. I appreciate your input and yes I do have a manual but I haven't found any trouble shooting solutions to my problem in there. Like I said I do appreciate what you guys are doing for people like us and hope we can figure it out without having to take in to a shop being the last resort. Thanks again for your time and input.

OK, you bought some pigs in a poke. this machine will playback the 3 prerecorded tracks on 1 tape but won't playback any new material you attempt to record. Is that correct?

I'd take it to a tech and have them check the branch of the power supply feeding the record circuitry. It's doubtful that every record circuits has gone bad on every channel. Something isn't allowing the audio to get on to the tape.

Back