Tascam 38 Capstan Motor Issues?

Definitely check the brakes, though. I had a slow winding problem on my B77 that for years I thought was electronic or failing motors. Perhaps it's a failing brake solenoid instead, but the winding issue was caused by the brakes not quite clearing the brake drums, and after adjusting the braking system, the winding went back to full speed again.

Probable Success Tascam 38

Hey Gang

Thanx all for the suggestions. Reading page 77 of the operation manual, I fooled a bit with the banding/braking and got both FF and Rewind to work reasonably well. Play mode now works great with the new BASF tape.

What still remains a mystery is the fact that after I got the mechanisms to respond, those older Ampex 456 Ca. tapes now play as well. The machine simply would not respond/play before I ran the new tape thru.

As I mentioned, the very first thing I did was to thoroughly clean everything. And BTW, yes, those older tapes definitely leave residue which I cleaned again and again.

I have a theory: perhaps getting the motors to finally run and getting the mechanisms to respond with the new tape, just brought the machine back to life where it was able to play the older tapes again? ;)

Thanx again
Mike
North Africa 1942-43 - Previews

Back