Tascam 32 problems

at this point its just one problem. i'm hoping its not 32 of them. i'm just getting started in this analog world so i'm trying to learn.

so, i just got my tascam model 32. i was eager to test it out. it only has -10dB inputs so i connected to the RCA outputs of my DAW. When i monitor the inputs i get a nice clean signal. But once i listen to the repro it sounds like crap. both channels are lacking volume, the left channel is almost non-existent and there is a whole mess of pumping.

What are some ways i can check my machine to find out whats wrong?
(i don't have any prerecorded media to test with)

mishagolin said:
at this point its just one problem. i'm hoping its not 32 of them. i'm just getting started in this analog world so i'm trying to learn.

so, i just got my tascam model 32. i was eager to test it out. it only has -10dB inputs so i connected to the RCA outputs of my DAW. When i monitor the inputs i get a nice clean signal. But once i listen to the repro it sounds like crap. both channels are lacking volume, the left channel is almost non-existent and there is a whole mess of pumping.

What are some ways i can check my machine to find out whats wrong?
(i don't have any prerecorded media to test with)

Are you using new tape or old that came with it? Could be a number of things, but you should clean and demagnetize the heads and tape path really well first. And make sure you are using good tape.

tape path is clean and heads are demagnetized. i'm using brand new quantegy 499. the inputs show plenty of signal but the left channel either doesn't record or doesn't playback. i'm not sure how to check which one without a test tape. the right channel works fine.

i have a software oscilloscope and signal generator if thats any help.

is it possible that something was knocked loose while it was shipped to me?

heeya.

So, last weekend I built a 2 channel mixer; so I thought, "I'll do some recording to the 2-track this weekend".

and I loaded up some new 406 I got

and got my mics, amps, comopressor, etc. everything ready to go.

got in input monitoring going on, sounds good.

hit record, record for a minute, rewind, play it back.

what the hell???

it was like, garbled, muffled, and kept slowing down in pitch and speed. it was the worst sound that ever came out of my 32.

I panicked, and thought that maybe my belt went bad.

one thing after another. arrgh!!!

same problems as you!!

then I switched back to 456 and everything was back to normal. crisp, perfect sound.

I think its the tension arms.

maybe beck, reel, or ghost can help us out to understand this better.

mishagolin said:
tape path is clean and heads are demagnetized. i'm using brand new quantegy 499. the inputs show plenty of signal but the left channel either doesn't record or doesn't playback. i'm not sure how to check which one without a test tape. the right channel works fine.

i have a software oscilloscope and signal generator if thats any help.

is it possible that something was knocked loose while it was shipped to me?

To find out whether the left channel is failing to record or failing to playback, record to both channels as normal and then flip the tape so the tracks will play backwards on opposite channels. If you can hear the left track playing back on the good right channel you know it records. If you can't hear the good right track on the left channel, you know it doesn't playback.

Beck said:
To find out whether the left channel is failing to record or failing to playback, record to both channels as normal and then flip the tape so the tracks will play backwards on opposite channels. If you can hear the left track playing back on the good right channel you know it records. If you can't hear the good right track on the left channel, you know it doesn't playback.

Absolute pearls of wisdom.

It might also be that the 32 was never properly calibrated internally for 456 or 499 by a previous owner who may have been too cheap/inept to do it by the book and screwed up the unit and decided to dump it.

The channel cards might also be loose and in need of being re-seated.

Or, it might be a combination of both scenarios.

When it comes to buying used gear, the only thing you can be sure about is that you can't be sure of anything.

Cheers! :)

Back