tascam 32-2 vs 22-2

I've been recording digitally for a few years now but would like to get into analog. Now i've been reading and doing a little bit of research for the past few weeks. However, i can't quite find the difference between the tascam 32-2 and 22-2.

i know the 32 takes 10.5" reels and the 22 takes 7" but is that the only difference?

are there any sonic differences between the machines?

I would say go the 22-2. They sound great, And if you can hear the differance I would be real suprised. The 22-2 doesnt have a pitch control on it. But that would only be a problem if you where going to be playing other peoples 1/2 track tapes on your machine or if you had a real bad power problem where the voltage veried alot.
The 22 is small and easy to move around and parts are pretty easy to find cause they share alot of parts with other teac and tascam recorders.
If you pay more than 100.00 for a nice one i would be suprised.

The 22-2 sounds great. Main difference is reel size. Only 7" can be used with the 22-2, but that's 22 minutes, more or less, of recording time @ 15 ips. I actually find it more convenient to span albums on two or more smaller reels than one big one, so the 22-2 does the job for me.

$200.00 for an excellent condition machine is reasonable. You can pay less for one of unknown condition, but you will make it up in new belts, roller, etc. New heads are a bargain at around $40.00 ea from Tascam. The 22-2 is one of the better candidates for a full, like-new restoration at low cost.

Last edited:
Back