Tascam 2488 Users needed

mastertracks

Is anyone using a tascam 2488 or 2488mk2? I was hoping to make some 2488 recording friends to share info, tips, tricks, compare tracks, etc... etc...

there is guys here that have both and I think there is also a 2488 forum try a google on it

I've got a mkII, but alot of the functionality is the same. If you ever have any questions or problems, let me know and I'm sure I can help or at least point you in the right direction.

I am a recent purchaser of a 2488 MkII. Still getting to know it (I am an evening hobbyist, recording my own songs). Lots of good stuff and a few annoyances so far.

New 2488 Mk2 user, need help!!!

I'm usin' 1 now , but somethings ain't workin' yet.

a) it's suppose 2 record 8 simultaneous tracks, it's nowhere in the manual explained n I only managed to record only 2 tracks... Any idea???
b) how can i add external fx like reverb, compressor n make it return to the Tascam? I plugged them from Tascam fx out, returned to 4 inputs and tough I can see in the fx the sound is comming out, I can't "hear" it

If anybody could help...
Thanx in advance

Hi mt,

2488 MK1 here; apartment recordist, and very happy with machine.

A couple of useful places:

http://www.soundadviceforums.com/

The folks at 'soundadvice' I know from when they came from the forum below, of which I am also a member.
Good people, good advice.

This is the original Tascam forum set up after Tascam itself shut theirs down:

http://www.tascam2488.com/

Plenty of archived and new 2488 info.

On-line collabs take place at both sites.

Have at it; I'm sure you'll find both help and friends there. If you see 'Cosmic Closet' at either one, that's me :)

See you around,

C.

I'm usin' 1 now , but somethings ain't workin' yet.

a) it's suppose 2 record 8 simultaneous tracks, it's nowhere in the manual explained n I only managed to record only 2 tracks... Any idea???

Yes, you can record all of the 8 input channels (A - H) simultaneously. If you have 8 separate sound sources running into these inputs, and each input assigned to a unique track, the 2488 will record all of them. Make sure that the gain trim knob for each input channel is up to an appropriate level.

b) how can i add external fx like reverb, compressor n make it return to the Tascam? I plugged them from Tascam fx out, returned to 4 inputs and tough I can see in the fx the sound is comming out, I can't "hear" it
Route the track effect send through the outboard processor, and back into an unused input channel. Be sure you have that input channel assigned to a track, and that you have the gain trim adjusted. You will be dry on the first track and wet on the second.

Related question - the 2488 will output individual tracks of mixdown tracks as wav files right? So you can collaborate with anyone who can import wavs?

Tom

august,

The 2488 can record 8 tracks at a time for as long as there is hard-drive space.

However, it is good practice not to max out the drive sector you record on completely, as that could back you into a corner when it comes to any post-show edits and such (they all require some room to be executed.)

If you need more than 8 live tracks, you'll need someone with a mixer live-mixing the extra channels into the 8 tracks which you can then mix down after the fact.

One important thing:

Several users have had the 2488 lock up and freeze during live setups. The reason seems to be excessive vibration from, say, bass and drums. If this happens, you will lose your recordings. There is no 'cure' except shutting the machine down and re-starting.

The machine should always be placed on a firm, even surface that allows air to circulate under the machine as well. And keep it from stronger external vibrations at all costs.

After you are done, if the machine has run continuously during the set, you will now have one unbroken 'song' as far as the machine is concerned.

You can now transfer this into a PC audio program (Audacity is free) and split the songs up in individual cuts, tweak as you please, and then burn a CD.

Best,
C.

thanks cosmic,

still, where do i put the mic inputs, is it a pa system with the 2488 attached or wat? or would u recommend a different device

Several users have had the 2488 lock up and freeze during live setups. The reason seems to be excessive vibration from, say, bass and drums. If this happens, you will lose your recordings. There is no 'cure' except shutting the machine down and re-starting.

The machine should always be placed on a firm, even surface that allows air to circulate under the machine as well. And keep it from stronger external vibrations at all costs.

After you are done, if the machine has run continuously during the set, you will now have one unbroken 'song' as far as the machine is concerned.

Excellent points all. There have been so many reports of locking up in live recording situations that I would hesitate using the 2488 live. I would make sure that the 2488 is placed on a very solid, vibration-fee surface, with a foam pad underneath to minimize vibrations from high-spl sounds. I would also take pains to set up in an area that prevents drunks, curious onlookers, or hangers-on from accidentally bumping into it. Keep liquids far away.

Also correct about continuous running. I would rehearse stopping recording, saving, and setting up a new song with a saved scene so that you can break up the recording between songs. This will have a couple of benefits. If the 2488 does lock up, you will only lose what is being currently recorded. Also, it will make your life a little easier for post-performance mixing.

Sorry this is soo late

Yes I use a 2488, love it!
Better late than never, I guess.
I'm still trying to get use to the USB BAck up?!?

Excellent! :)

i wanted the Mkii for it's extra memory, but this one was brand new and came at a decent price so i figure for the extra 300-400 it would have cost to get the Mkii, i'll just store any extra tracks on my computer and spend the money on a couple of more mics :)

i wanted the Mkii for it's extra memory, but this one was brand new and came at a decent price so i figure for the extra 300-400 it would have cost to get the Mkii, i'll just store any extra tracks on my computer and spend the money on a couple of more mics :)
I think you'll really enjoy it. Memory hasn't been a problem for me, but I've been doing most of my work in 16-bit so far. (And to be honest I haven't been all that prolific.) Anyhow, backing up to free up disk space is easy.

Back