Tascam 2488 Portastudio

Peter Brown

I'm looking forward to REALLY getting familiar with my new toy. The Tascam 2488. I've had it for about 3 weeks. Sounds great. Hard to view (small) screen but easy to find menus and very fast. 24 tracks at 24 bit will kind of put a lot of competitors O.O.B. I mean, there's so much bang for the buck. Supper sync capabilities. Big studio. Small footprint. Takes up so little realestate. Very serious CD burner but, takes about 30 minutes to back-up a 3 minute song at 14 to 16 tracks of synced sequences. Thats still OK, compared to how much time it used to take me to sync sequences to the TSR-8. I'm still not clear on the FX and can't get why I'm unable to record different single FX programs to each track when I chose to do so. It appears that I can only use one effect for all the tracks. (As much or as little as I want.) Same with the dynamics. I've been flying them in from my synth but would really like to use the on-board Tascam FX.

I think there's something I'm not understanding about routing.
I'm completely happy with every thing else about the unit. I look forward to many long hours of use and enjoyment on it.

If anyone could tell me what I'm doing wrong, It would make my whole year.

I think you may be discovering one of the 2488's limitations.
I believe you have 8 individual compressors you can use when recording but you only can use a few FX at a time when mixing down. [ Not sure probably 3 or 4 ]. Some people bounce their tracks with the FX on to an open track so they can use another effect. The lack of the ability to to insert many effects on many channels at one time as well as limited editing capabilities is what drives a lot of people to computer recording with a software program like Pro Tools. It takes a lot of processing power to insert
2 different reverbs, 6 different gates, a couple different delays,
and so on all at the same time. The digital work stations either can't or won't give us that much flexability at this time. [ At least not for this price.

If you find I'm wrong please post it here as I would be happy to find out I'm wrong and that the 2488 can do more than I think
as I am going to buy one.

Good luck

To get multiple effects in a mix just bounce the track or tracks you want different effects on and they'll print on the new track.

I believe if you assign the multi effect to the actually input, and not the channel, you can burn the effect right to track.

Yes, just select 'pre' rather than 'post'. I'd rather work with effects in the mixing stage and make changes there......just my preference.

the tough thing with the 2488 is you will only be able to add a multi effect to one track when your mixing. so if you really want the effect, your best off recording direct to the track. of course, with this machine, you can add a single effect to as many tracks as you want. Correct?

jaeden said:
the tough thing with the 2488 is you will only be able to add a multi effect to one track when your mixing. so if you really want the effect, your best off recording direct to the track. of course, with this machine, you can add a single effect to as many tracks as you want. Correct?

Sure, as long as you go one track at a time, it's just that you're stuck with those settings once its recorded.

the tough thing with the 2488 is you will only be able to add a multi effect to one track when your mixing.

also remember the 2488 has DUAL external AUX sends. thus you could incorporate TWO "mono" processors, TWO "mono in/stereo out" processors..or ONE "true stereo" processor at mixdown. that's some nice added flexibility (although,...of course,..you have to OWN some external processors). a device like the TC Electronic M-300 or a Lexicon MPX-whatever would be a nice companion to the 2488. cheers.:)

Back