Tascam 244

Just to see when you record at 0VU that it gives you back 0VU on playback, with very little dropoff or variation. Without checking the book, I think the spec on that is +/- 1dB, which is pretty close, but any worn and used 244 that's not been calibrated since new will typically show -2dB~-3dB dropoff or more, which is not good. I've spent extra hours to get the record/repro levels to match exactly, and I mean exactly, and that in itself took me more time than normal, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to things like this. Not only that, but how clean the head is and very small variations in the tape itself will affect this readout a to very small degree. That's why getting it "perfect" is such a time suck and laborious issue, and even then things change the next time you demo it.

Also, as long as on your typical recorded material, guitar, bass, keyboard, you don't hear any fizziness enveloping the sound (which would be a dbx calibration anomaly), you're okay. Sometimes a sharp drum hit at a high level will produce this dbx pumping anomaly, which for the most part would be considered normal and vary on a case by case basis. I've typically skipped and glossed over dbx calibration when I did my internal adjustments, and I've had no problem with it so far. A long time ago I asked a TEAC in-house tech about it, and he said (para) 'you don't touch the dbx unless you have to',... and I'm fine with that. If I ever heard any issues, and I have very acute hearing, I'd just follow the book and dive into it, like any other calibration issue, there is a procedure and a remedy.

I agree though, if you said "back to factory spec", there will be an electronic calibration included in that, and I have no doubt they will be better and more efficient at that than any home rec'cer or layman just poking in the dark.

:spank::eek:;)

Going from (4) Tape Outs to a 4-Input sound interface is more important if you want to do your final mixdown on the puter.
That's what I do. then I go back and do 4 more. repeat until done. Love the sound.

That's what I do. then I go back and do 4 more. repeat until done. Love the sound.

What soundcard/interface do you use to do that?

And how do you stay in time when recording new tracks on tape? Do you keep a drum track?

You can't do that without synchronization, and it would be three tracks at a time. Well, you can try, but its going to drift terribly out of sync. Trying to nudge tracks in time doesn't really work either when tape is the source, especially cassette, because of the speed deviation of a tape machine.

I go RCA out into my Protools 002 rack and sync with a click that I keep one track. Yes it drifts a "little" but I it takes about 20 minutes of tweaking and I'm happy. My music is not the most precise out there and I kind of like a little natural wave in it. Not for everyone I suppose but definitely workable.

What is the best way to send a drum loop from Cubase to the 4track (Track 1). Would I just run a 1/8" from the computer out to a 1/4" Line In on the Tascam? Then hit play on Cubase and record on the Tascam? Is this how it would be done? Unfortunately I don't have all the adapters so I can't answer my own question. Just want to be sure before I buy any.

Thanks!

Actually I did have the cables and set it up tonight, but it's not working.

I did a 1/8" from my headphone jack in the PC to the 1/4" line input on the tascam. What other settings would I need to make this work? My goal is to put looped drums on track 1.

I got it!
Only question is are headphone outs line level? I hear a very small amount of distortion in the signal.

any worn and used 244 that's not been calibrated since new will typically show -2dB~-3dB dropoff or more, which is not good.

I have this problem with my 244. How do you calibrate it to sort it out?

You'd need a standard calibration tape, which is expensive and hard to find. You'd also need a reliable signal generator and a DVM. You'd need a service manual and plenty of hours to learn the ropes and dial it in correctly.

Alt., you can find a qualified tech that you trust. Personally, I'd only trust TEAC Service in Montebello, CA, and there is another known "old timer" in a different part of LA who does this stuff. Qualified techs who know anything about analog are a rare breed, but you may get lucky and/or put some investment in tools and time to DIY.

I'd recommend the TEAC MXT-116, multifrequency test/alignment cassette for the 244 (runs @ 9.5 cm/s... 3-3/4 ips). Costs a pretty penny if you could find one new (call TEAC Parts for info), or less money for a used tape off eBay.

There are several different but similar TEAC test tapes, at different speeds & for difference purposes, so scrutinize listings and model numbers carefully.

:spank::eek:;)

Attachments

• DSC00329.jpg
    DSC00329.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
wow that seems like a lot of work. ill just live with it how it is.

any chance there is a guy around in scotland who could do it?

Just finished my first quick, test recording, and I am blown away by this machine's quality.

Last edited:
Here is our first recording. I'm on guitar; my girlfriend sings.
I'm amazed how quiet the machine is. I've recorded 4-track before, and it never sounded like this. My only question: would I be better off using two mics since my guitar is so low? She held the mic to sing so I was recorded at a bad angle.

View attachment down to the river.mp3

Here is our first recording. I'm on guitar; my girlfriend sings.
I'm amazed how quiet the machine is. I've recorded 4-track before, and it never sounded like this. My only question: would I be better off using two mics since my guitar is so low? She held the mic to sing so I was recorded at a bad angle.

View attachment 84858

Yes you'll definitely get a more balanced sound with a mic on your guitar as well. And you've got the inputs to do it, so why not? :)

is there a place to download the manual for the 244? if not, i might scan mines and post it.

There used to be a link on this forum, but they are dead now. Maybe someone saved the pdfs and can upload them?

This site is a great resource, too. MZE-Electroarts Entertainment - MZEntertainment.com: Dr. ZEE WORKSHOP TASCAM-244 4-track Cassette Portastudio Restoration and Servicing Project

I notice on other forums people criticize this machine because there is no phantom power. But if you buy a preamp you can just use the phantom power on that and run the line out into the 244, right?

Yes, and sure it would be nice if every piece of gear had everything, right? :facepalm:

Sheesh...

The 244 is no less than a great piece of gear even if it lacks phantom power. What integrated cassette 4-track/mixer HAS phantom power? I can't think of one at the moment. I bet there is one but it is much less the norm. Silly thing to criticize if you ask me.

Yes, and sure it would be nice if every piece of gear had everything, right? :facepalm:

Sheesh...

The 244 is no less than a great piece of gear even if it lacks phantom power. What integrated cassette 4-track/mixer HAS phantom power? I can't think of one at the moment. I bet there is one but it is much less the norm. Silly thing to criticize if you ask me.

The only one I've ever seen was the Audio Technica AT RMX64 ... crazy machine. 51 pounds! I had one, but it had transport problems that I couldn't fix, so I sold it for parts.

Sheesh...

The 244 is incredible. I had no idea a 4-track could sound so good. There are guys on the net bashing cassette. I don't think they get it.

I have Cubase, but I'd much much much rather record on the 244. It's a blast.
Ideally I am going to integrate the two because both methods have strengths. Guys get too attached to some ideology/methodology, entrench themselves in it, and wind up missing the big picture.

Back