Tascam 244 problems

chrisshennan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKkrbCz1Zo4

Hi,

Ive had this Tascam 244 for about 15 years now. Used and loved back in the early 2000's but it's been in my loft since then getting dusty.

Recently turned it on and it's making some high pitched noises (i'm guessing the belt drive?) and the tape area seems stuck.

Basically- its a mess!

I'm not particularly desperate to get it working but it'd seem a bit daft to just chuck it. Also, i've just bought a drum machine and synth and it'd be cool to get these hooked up and use the EQ's etc and see what i can do with it (anything other than using the laptop would be great tbh)

I'm not knowledgeable enough to take it apart and swap belt drives etc so i either need to sell it as is or get it repaired (i live in Liverpool UK and i can't seem to find anyone to help me yet)

I know there's only so much one can tell from a iPhone video but any input would be cool and i can go from there :)

Thanks

Sooner or later every 244 and most other models will need all the rubber replaced. The control belt (which engages and disengages the head assembly), capstan belt (which drives the capstan from the flywheel), idler tires (which spin the reels in forward and reverse) and pinch roller (which works with the capstan to pull the tape through in play/record modes at a steady speed). It's not that difficult to learn how to do it yourself, but there are still authorized service centers and repair shops in the UK that work on these older models last time I looked.

Give these blokes a call. They should be able to tell you were the closest repair shop is for your needs. ;)

TEAC UK Service Station
6 Copthall Corner
Chalfont St. Peter
Gerrards Cross Bucks SL9 0BZ
Tel: 01-753-893133
Mobile: 07770-27648

Thank you so much for the reply. Really nice of you.
I guess i could give it a go myself- treat it as a bit of a project maybe....hmmm options haha!

Thanks again

Back