Tascam 244 or 238?

Fuzznut

Searcher
Hi! This is my first post. My name is Rami and I'm from Finland, Yay! :cool: I have a Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro Mixer and I have been using it to record stuff with my PC. But now I'm thinking of getting one of those analog tape recorders. I have a chance to buy a Tascam 244. Would that go well with my Mackie mixer? Or would the 238 be better? The 244 is way cheaper though and four tracks at-once is enough for me.

btw how do you transfer the material from tape to PC?

Thanks!

The 244 has a wider tape track width so theoretically, it should be a better sounding recorder but the 238 is also a very good sounding deck too and offers 8 tracks to record on where the 244 only has 4.

Considering you already have a mixer and the 244 has a mixer built in, I would go for the 238 which is strictly an 8 channel recorder that requires an external mixer to track and mixdown with.

Cheers! :)

I still own a couple of 238's although I haven't used them in years. You can get some VERY nice recordings out of them (I tracked a couple of CDs on them) but I have to say that the computer would be a better recorder in my humble opinion.

Thanks for the help. I'll try to find a 238 then. Yeah computer recording is fun and easy but I want to get that analog sound that digital can't do. I'm more of a vintage gear freak myself. I have tubeamps from the 60's ('68 Marshall Plexi 100w) and all of my favourite recordings were made with analog stuff so I want that natural and warm sound when I record.

Any other 4-track suggestions? :o

Any other 4-track suggestions?

An actual reel to reel would give you a true analog sound. Cassette is not analog's best example of sound reproduction.

Perhaps look for a TASCAM 34, 44 or older 3340 or 3440. All of these are 4 track, 4 channel decks that run at 15 ips and their sound quality would BLOW AWAY any cassette deck.

Cheers! :)

Yes,...

There is the cassette-drive Tascam 234, 4-track, which would be similar vintage and design factor as the 244, less the built-in mixer, and plus a few higher-end features,... sister products most like the Tascam 246 & 34B, R/R. It borrows features from each.

I've seen 234's in fine condition auction for as little as $55, just this week, and that's a TREMENDOUS value in 4-tracks.

PS: Since you have a decent mixer, the 244's mixer would be superflouous, and the 234 might be a more appropriate fit, given your existing setup. A better, 4-buss mixer would be most appropriate, but you use what you have, and it should be functional, if not ideal.

Last edited:
I think that the 234 just might be the best 4 track cassette recorder/reproducer ever mass produced, it's too bad they don't still make 'em. :)

Back