tascam 238s

spinneyb

Hi, really hope someone can help me with this as i feel that i have been ripped of.I perchest a tascam 238s along with a tascam m-1508 mixer and was told that all was in great working order,but when i got the gear home i powered up the mixer and all seems to be fine but when i put on the 238 the meters started to go up and down completly at random with a slight popping noise even before i put a tape in(but not all the time).I tryed out all the channels most are fine but some of the channels only seem to work when i dont enable the dolby.I dont think its a head problem so it might not be so bad but i was just wondering if any of the wise on this forum could shed some light on this problem and if their is a way of fixing it.many thanks
simon

I can't speak with absolute authority on this, but...

I've looked inside a 238, and there's not much in there that may become jarred loose. However, it might pay to remove the top cover and ensure all the channel cards and other electronics and cables are properly seated on their connectors. The first thing that goes wrong with units that are shipped, is that stuff gets jarred loose.

Second, and this is just a longshot or a hunch, that maybe there's some humidity or dampness that's accumulated in the circuitry, from normal non-use and/or storage. The remedy for this might be to set the 238 in a warm/dry place, or perhaps on a shelf near a window that gets good sunshine on it. Then, leave the 238 powered on for a day or two. My idea being, that maybe within 24-48 hours of warming up and setting on a sunny shelf and in a warm/dry place, that any residual moisture will evaporate out of the unit.

Those things are basic and simple. I'd try both approaches and continue further troubleshooting in a couple days, if it doesn't clear up.

It almost goes without saying, but you should run this question by the seller, and see what he as to say.;)

Back