Tascam 234 Story...

Your unit obviously took a hit. You can't dispute that. Look at the box.

That machine, as heavy as it is, got a classic "corner drop". That usually means trouble, any way you slice it.

You could possibly use what you have for a MAJOR refurbishment project. The seller bears fault for the unit getting damaged, IMO. Poor packing produces these results repeatedly, over time.:eek:;)

I think the heads look alright, FWIW.:eek:;)

I, I, I feel really, really sad, can't look at those photos, Cory.., been there before....:(

Attachments

• I%27m_really_really_sorry,_crying_smiley_face.gif
    I%27m_really_really_sorry,_crying_smiley_face.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 310
Cory, as one friend to another can only say, I'd not make this into yet another project. Get yer money back, keep or sell it off for parts and don't look back. Refocus on your other projects.

Reel, thanks for the info...I suppose Tascam may have info on the dimensions for those tires...Parts Express has lots of that stuff...the Service Manual for the 234 is, oddly enough, much harder to wade through than the likes of my 48 or 58...its just not laid out so step-by-step. The writers of the 48 and 58 service manuals really did a great job. Anyway, those tires are not even listed as individual parts at least not that I've found yet...part of the idler sub-assembly and the reel motor...but, as I said, maybe Tascam can fill in the blanks on those dimensions.

And yeah, I know its not the Sellers fault that the rubber went to goo, and yer right...Tascam sourced their rubber from another source and the rubber wasn't cured long enough and so it turns to goo...rubber sourced from different/original sources is fine...the solenoid cushions on my 48...its funny...2 were goo, one was not. So yeah I know it is not the Seller's fault and yet the implication in the auction detail is that the deck is ready to go save for the belts needing installed. I don't expect the Seller to know everything, but when you put it all together (the unmentioned/unknown issues, the inadequate packing and subsequent shipping damage), it makes for a stronger case IMHO. Anyway the Seller and I are communicating. He says one of his 234's came to him in the same box undamaged, and that he has another 234 that came in a box with no padding and it survived. :eek: So, that is his good fortune but my stance is that that is not what I requested as far as packing precautions.

Cory, as one friend to another can only say, I'd not make this into yet another project. Get yer money back, keep or sell it off for parts and don't look back. Refocus on your other projects.

Yup...yer right...I know you are...and you've said that before...and yet the madness continues...you're going to give up hope on me at some point I'm sure.

I'm struggling with several things at this juncture:

• The 234 is so cool! The ultimate in 4-track cassette recorder/reproducers (aside from the 134 I suppose) and I'm impressed with the guts...and the fact that it can function completely on its own with the basic onboard 4x2 mixer, but will also interface direct with outboard gear...this is a downfall of the 424 IMHO...it is nice that it has the direct out jacks, but there is no real way to bypass the input section (and to Tascam's credit that makes perfect sense...why add cost to the price-point for a feature that doesn't make sense when the 424 already has its own mixing section). And 4 analog VU's on a cassette deck... :cool: I've been messing with the open reel units so long its like a new novelty to fiddle with the same components on a smaller scale...cute little capstan motor...I'm definitely ill...sheesh
  • The unit featured here came with a full set of documents in good condition...how much would that cost on the open market?
  • I'd really like to own one of these things long-term, and this unit does have usable parts in it for sure, especially critical pieces like the heads, capstan and reel motors...

Maybe I'm going way astray...I've got these big intensive projects all over the place related to relatively complex higher-end pieces of gear (the 58 and the M-___ for example), and having a simple unit to use is a draw...I'll tend to get complicated to the nth degree and the 234 (and M-308B) are grounding in a way, though both are "projects" for sure. Hm. Is it sick though that the M-308B actually feels like a small project after the M-520 and now the M-___??

Enough already.

Waiting for the Seller to respond...

So yeah I know it is not the Seller's fault and yet the implication in the auction detail is that the deck is ready to go save for the belts needing installed. I don't expect the Seller to know everything, but when you put it all together (the unmentioned/unknown issues, the inadequate packing and subsequent shipping damage), it makes for a stronger case IMHO. Anyway the Seller and I are communicating. He says one of his 234's came to him in the same box undamaged, and that he has another 234 that came in a box with no padding and it survived. :eek: So, that is his good fortune but my stance is that that is not what I requested as far as packing precautions.

The seller's either on crack or a complete moron, at the very least clueless and fails to take any responsibility, from the rather loose [and misleading] description, to the laughable packing and failing to yield your precise instructions as to the former. The dude is at fault and if he doesn't see that clearly then I'd take it to PayPal but please don't be so nice about it, Cory. You're too damn nice!

One needs knowledge and some intelligence but, unfortunately, this seller has shown none. It's not being mean but rather stating facts.

Point him to this thread. I'd like to have a little chat with him.:cool:

The Seller and I have come to terms...I know some of you are going to disagree with this, but my total comes to $70 for the whole mess. The way I see it is that I paid $70 shipped to get a full original document set for the 234 which is valuable to me, a set of new belts, and a parts deck...yeah who knows what is actually good on it, but I do know the capstan motor is good, the heads look really good, and none of the PCB's appear damaged...knobs, VU meters...all that stuff. And I'm planning on getting a working 234 and you know me...I like to have parts decks. I would have paid $70 for a full set of docs, new belts and a parts deck. So there ya go.

So...I'm on the lookout for another 234 to continue the story...these are really cool cassette decks. ;)

Corey, That is an awful lot of work to restore the broken links. I thank you for taking the time to restore the continuity of the threads. I'm sorry it took me so long to edit your posts.

If there is more, let me know and I'll help the best I can.

peace.

Last edited:
Pinch Roller arrived

After a couple months the replacement pinch roller assembly has arrived from Teac. Worth the wait. At less than $10 it was a good deal for a very nice lookin' part.

IMG_0648.JPG

Last edited:
Hm...

So I've been back and forth about what to do long term with my two sad 234's that could make one really nice 234. I'd thought to ditch them cheap and just be done with it but I'm really a fan of the 234...the ultimate bare-bones 4-tracker. I say this because it has everything needed and nothing more. It can interface with outboard gear if desired but it can totally stand alone. Think of a 244 or 424 with no EQ and no auxes...it has a basic onboard 4 x 2 mixer and a headphone amp circuit. Talk about no bells and whistles to distract...just honest-to-goodness cassette four-tracking.

It makes it harder for me because I have a new belt set, new pinch roller and the full original manual set.

So I'm probably keeping this stuff because along came a local deal for a 234 that looks in fair shape. Seller says that two channels aren't functioning correctly. I don't know if those are tape tracks or input channels or output channels...maybe it is simple or maybe not, but in my mind I'm thinking it could be a fast track to having a 234 up and running. It was $30. The kicker is that it comes with an RC-71... :cool:;)

Attachments

• 3na3pa3l45W45P25X5a8nefe9b1d3a5821489.jpg
    3na3pa3l45W45P25X5a8nefe9b1d3a5821489.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 486
So I was out and about today...

And was able to arrange pickup of the new-to-me 234 with RC-71 remote.

It actually looks really stright. Couple-three knob caps missing but [*surprise!*] I have spares... :rolleyes: ...couple pot shafts are bent...nothing major and the rest of it is pretty clean...no damage...I'd call it a solid 7 out of 10. Haven't even looked at the remote closely yet but I think its in pretty good shape too.

Haven't even gotten the stuff out of the car...the last several weeks have been a steady rythym of work, stop by building supply store on the way home and work on the remodel until the wee hours and then do it all again and tonight was no different. BUT...

The listing stated there was a problem with a couple channels an I suspected it might have been user error and in talking with the seller I've confirmed that...on the 234, depending on the monitoring mode (i.e. input mixer or stereo output sum) either all 4 VU's light or only 2...the seller has had the thing in output sum monitor mode so that makes two channels appear dead.

Maybe I'll have a chance to take a closer look tomorrow but it'll probably be a couple days...insulation comes Thursday and I'm trying to wrap up some special hi voltage wiring and a bunch of low-voltage chases...and redoing the voice and data wiring...and rectifying some scary past wiring...no more romex just twisted together with decades-old masking tape for insulation...:spank: OY! :eek:

The scoop...

The bad and the ugly...

• 3 bent pot shafts (I've got spare pots if needed)
  • 2 missing knob caps (got those in spares too)
  • 1 cracked knob (got that too)
  • input #3 doesn't pass audio (though I *think* I heard some "dirt" when I swept the TRIM knob so maybe its just a bad jack...I'll check that and if that's not it pull the schematics out))
  • There is some stronger than usual 60Hz hum in the headphone circuit along with a click...click...click at about once per second...tired regulator?
  • meter lamps for channels 3 & 4 are out...$1.06 each at Parts Express

The good...

• Wow...this thing is in pretty good shape...totally straight...couple scratches on the face but its all there except for the above...doesn't even look like upper rack screws were ever installed...its even still got the factory "feet"...just needs cleaning and some (hopefully) minor "fixes"...
  • plays back on all 4 tracks
  • heads look really nice
  • rubber is good though the capstan belt is tired (I can hear it slip initially...think its just a bit dried out and as a result probably a bit slack)
  • The pots a surprisingly not scratchy...a couple of them needed a little excercising but that took care of it pretty much
  • The remote works like a charm and looks great
  • The innards look great...I was a little worried at first because all the cover screws were somewhat loose but everything looks box-stock in there and the caps look good...
  • transport is smooth, precise and responsive
  • basically, except for track #3 not recording and the two meter lamps being out everything works.

IMG_8188_3_1.JPG

IMG_8189_4_1.JPG

IMG_8190_5_1.JPG

IMG_8186_2_1.JPG

IMG_8184_1_1.JPG

IMG_8192_1_1.JPG

Pretty swell for $30!

Very cool!!

That's gonna be awesome and, dare I say, the ultimate in 4 track cassette. Yup, I def see the beauty and simplicity of plugging in a mic at the back, having only a very basic but functional mixer on the front and rolling tape. Too cool. :)

But, can you imagine, maybe later on, pairing the 234 up with your 388 (its mixer section)? Wow!:D

BTW, the 234 remains one of my last loves but because I have so much already, in 4 track cassette, it's always been just a thing to wonder and salivate over. While it would be nice to have one, I can't justify a 234. I'll just enjoy it through you. :D ;)

That's gonna be awesome and, dare I say, the ultimate in 4 track cassette. Yup, I def see the beauty and simplicity of plugging in a mic at the back, having only a very basic but functional mixer on the front and rolling tape. Too cool. :)

But, can you imagine, maybe later on, pairing the 234 up with your 388 (its mixer section)? Wow!:D

BTW, the 234 remains one of my last loves but because I have so much already, in 4 track cassette, it's always been just a thing to wonder and salivate over. While it would be nice to have one, I can't justify a 234. I'll just enjoy it through you. :D ;)

Spot-on, Daniel...I was going to make a subsequent post after my last one but you kind of stole my thoughts...

Many of you know I'm not a simple guy...I over-think things multiple layers deep and when I work on something I typically tear into it as deep as I can possibly go. Now, that has resulted in some really nice things, but it has also spawned many, many misadventures and even some technical casualties. I'm learning to accept simplicity and experiencing that many times the simplest thing brings the same or better results than the in-depth tour or complex array or path.

The 234 is an amazing blend of simplicity, vintage Tascam build-quality at its best, and the top fidelity potential of the 4-track cassette format simply based on the least complicated signal path that also doesn't require a mixer, but still has the 3 3/4ips tape speed and dbx noise reduction.

As I was fiddling with it the other night and enjoying the dirt-simple operation for overdubs I also starting doing my thinking thing and pondered "if only they'd come up with a way to be able to buss the inputs...like a 4 x 4 input mixer or even 4 x 2..." Well, there I go again. Then it wouldn't be what it is. Its all setup to interface with ANY mixer you choose that has -10dBv outs on it as well as 4 -10dBv returns for mixdown or monitoring. Tascam also kept the home solo recordist/artist in mind at made it possible to plug in a mic, line or instrument input into any input and track away and to be able to monitor with the onboard headphone amp AND mixdown with the 4 x 2 output line mixer. Nothing more, but nothing too "less" that you are dependent on ANY outboard gear save for a phantom power supply or one of those TS to XLR impedance matching transformers, and of course a mixdown deck of some sort...hey...You could use a PE-40 with this thing really well and have awesome EQ capability to sweeten your tracks...that's the thing...it CAN go ultimate or it can totally stand alone, and that's what I want and need it for...dirt simple clickity-clack scratch-pad with good old analog VU meters...too fun.

I have to say again how impressed I was by the crisp and smooth response of the transport. Totally the opposite of chintzy...not that I expected it to be chintzy, but it is a step above any Philips cassette-based transport I have ever used, including my Dad's 424 mkII...it just seems like it isn't working as hard and it just simply stops on a dime and takes off like a rocket in fast-wind.

I like it.

Just right.

I like to use things to their full potential too though, and there is a balance there. I think it should be fun to do that...sometimes I'll feel obligated to do that "because its there" and then its a burden, but someday it WOULD be fun to interface the 234 with an external mixer. I had been wondering what I'd use and, Daniel, I didn't even think about the 388 mixer. :eek::rolleyes::o That's perfect! Thanks for the suggestion! :)

BTW, if I didn't say it already, during my testing the other night it sounds really nice.

Yup, the 388 has many uses, its mixer section being worth the cost alone and while I totally "get" and appreciate the simplicity of the 234, as is, the 388 is right there if you ever wanna build the perfect 234 portastudio (well, not so porta ;) ). Really nice score on the 234!:)

So I'm really impressed with how the 234 is put together...I mean, I've kind been into one a bit when I got my first one (the original subject of this thread) and then the subsequent parts deck, but that was more just poking around and now that I have this current one and a focused objective (which is to figure out why mic input #2 isn't passing audio) its a little different because I know I need to get to part X and so I do what I have to do to get to it rather than "Hmm...what's this? Hmmm I wonder what's under that? Hmmm...interesting...hmmm..." And yes that is what's going on in my head when I'm poking around a new-to-me piece of gear...

So I took the top cover off to get to the PCB to which the mic jacks are attached. The dbx PCB is on top of the main R/P PCB and its neat because the dbx PCB is on a primitive but purpose-built hinged bracket...remove two screws and it flips up giving full access to the R/P PCB. Well, silly me, the mic jacks aren't connected to the R/P PCB, they are on a separate PCB underneath...I think "Aw man! I gotta take all that stuff out!" Nope...the bottom of the 234 is covered by two separate panels...one underneath the amp electronics and other related stuffs, and the other under the transport and power supply and some other stuff. Remove a few screws and the cover drops and *bam* full access to the R/P PCB (when coupled to the fact that the dbx PCB flips up...full access to both sides). And the mic amp PCB, which is small, is mounted to the chassis by the mic jack nuts, and interconnected by one plug...zip off the 4 jack nuts, unplug the connector and its out. I don't think I've ever owned a piece of gear that would be easier to test and troubleshoot when powered up and be able to safely get to everything...its awesome. Well laid out and plenty of access.

I was hoping that the problem was a simple connection issue between the jack and the PCB but its not...ruled that out...BUT...since the mic amp PCB gets its grounding from the connector as well as its power it'll be so easy to plug it in and have it hang free and be powered to be able to put some tone through it and track down the problem. If I get lost or frustrated I'll just grab one of my two spares and call it good but this is a fun little distraction at the moment.

Hm...As I'm typing I'm thinking it would have been good to test and make sure I can get signal to tape from the four line inputs...that would narrow things down a bit...hm...maybe tomorrow.

Well the verdict is in...All 4 line inputs work!

I just recorded about a minute of a creepy 2-part tenor chant with the low part doubled twice an octave down...that's all 4 tracks for those of you keeping score at home. :) Home recording at its best...just a '57, a budget ART single channel mic pre and the 234.

I'm assuming that there's a bad channel on the mic amp PCB. I'm likely to take the quick route and drop in one from one of the other two 234's.

I need to figure out what that clicking noise is though...its wierd...its about once per second...just a thin *tick*...*tick*...*tick*...anybody ever experience that? I'm thinking its a bad cap...maybe discharging over and over again...it would explain the regularity anyway...need to check if it is present in the stereo "cue" output jacks and/or the 4 individual track outputs.

So anyway, this thing just keeps getting better...the pinch roller even seems to be in good condition.

Gotta figure out what to do with this extra RC-71...

No...I mean, it could likely be MADE to work but you'd have to find the proper connector and mod the remote.

Back