Tascam 22-4 sync problem

doug deeper

I'm having a weird issue with tracks 1 and 4.
Play head works fine but SOMETIMES tracks 1 and 4 wont play back from the sync head.
All I get it a loud buzz/hum much like a cable plugged into an amp with nothing at the other end.
Does this sound like a relay issue? I loose channel card??? OTHER?!?!?!!!!
Thanks in advance for any help!
:)

Sounds more like the channel card seating. I've not heard of ground hum with a relay issue - usually that comes with an intermittent connection, whereas the relay faults usually have it stuck playing from the wrong head or completely muted.

SO I did some more sleuthing.
When the hum/buzz stops, Channel 4 functions perfectly, but playback from the sync head on channel one goes silent.
The change from one state of broken to the other happens generally after switching heads or turning the machine on and off.
But I'm not sure it's limited to that.
What do I do! :)

SO I did some more sleuthing.
When the hum/buzz stops, Channel 4 functions perfectly, but playback from the sync head on channel one goes silent.
The change from one state of broken to the other happens generally after switching heads or turning the machine on and off.

Okay, that sounds like a relay problem. You may have to get them replaced.

Ok,
So here is some more info on this strange behavior.
If I record to channel 1 or 4 while the buzzing is happening, and the machine is in sync mode, the buzzing will stop.
As long as I dont switch out of sync mode channel 4 will play back of the sync head just fine, and channel one will about 10% of the time, the rest of the time channel one wont play off the sync head and the VU wont move.
If I switch the machine into "input" or "repro" everything is fine, but then if I switch back to sync the buzzing begins again. There are a few exceptions to this behavior, but nothing repeatable.
Any ideas?
I reseated all the cards, and resoldered any connections on the motherboard/cards that looked like they could be an issue.
Could the relays cause this? I've ordered a copy of the service manual, how many relays are there in here? What functions share them? Is there a reason why recording on one of the weird channels would partially snap this thing back into shape?
Anyone know of any good techs in the seacoast area of NH. ;)

On the 32 series, there are three relays per card. K103 on the left (component side), K102 on the right (has two pairs of pins on each side and a gap in the middle) and K101 on the far right.

K101 enables the repro head, I think.
K102 mutes or unmutes the channel
K103 switches the output between the repro and sync heads.

I don't know how much of this extends to the 22.

Back