taping DSP

emokid

In the professional world, what signal processing is applied to the recording while tracking?

Im not talking about special effects, like an external wah wah, chorus, delay,etc. but stuff liek dynamic and eq processors.

Also, how come peopel still run their instruments/mics through compressors/limiters and eq mixers? Because when you do that, its applied destructively and you can't take it off. ISnt it theoretically better to have a signal with no processing, then apply them non destructively ?

I am not a pro, but have recorded for many years. In my experience, light compression can be useful while tracking acoustic instruments and voices. Heavier compression is often used while tracking electric guitars for increasing sustain, and on hard rock vocals to manage dynamics. I also de-ess while tracking a highly sibilant vocalist.

It is true that 'printing' your effects while tracking is not theoretically necessary, it sometimes is easier to create the desired performance if the effects are part of the tracked signal (IE compression and/or distortion or delay on a guitar, etc.).

There is more than one 'right' way to make recordings--you just have to experiment and see what sounds right for the track you are recording.

Back