tapes stuck in adats

McTossa

I have 3 brand new adats and have had an awful lot of trouble with them. Presently, the tapes will not eject from the 1st and 3rd machines. The 1st adat is reading error and the interpolation light is flashing. This happened once before and just as I prepared to take them to the shop I tried to eject them and it worked. I reinserted the tapes and the error went away and they worked fine. Any advice? Now the problem is reoccurring.

First things first. You gotta get those tapes out. Right this down in your ADAT manual for future reference.

1- Power off the machine.

2- Hold down the Eject botton.

3- Power on the machine while holding down the eject botton for at least 5 secs, if not more.

4- Tape should eject.

I had this same problem with one of my Black Face Type I ADAT's way back when. Not sure what caused it, but I have an idea of what did.

What kind of tape are you using? Is it happening with ANY tape you insert to that machine? Have you changed the order of the machines yet? What kind of sync cables are you using between the ADAT's?

If you are using those old Ampex tape, or their new equivalent, Quantum, DON'T!!! I have had nothing but problems with that brand of tape. Almost every problem I have heard of with ADAT's have involved their tape.

I am using the Maxell Professional Series SVHS tape and have never had any problems with them at all. It may be advisable to switch.

Good luck.

Ed

[This message has been edited by sonusman (edited 03-14-2000).]

Many thanks for your reply, I just took em up to the repair shop and told the guy to give em a good once over. I feel better knowing he gave them a good bill of health. He told me he could have em back by friday and thier still under warranty so no skin off my back, just a waste of my time. I've had an awful lot of trouble with these brand new super expensive high end adats. Theyve been in the shop twice in three months, AND they are my 2nd set, my 1st three were replaced by Alesis. They were from a "Bad Shipment." Anyhow, my faith in Alesis is destroyed and I don't believe I'll be buying much more from them. To top it off I think they have a bunch of stoned 16 year olds in tech support. His advice to me was "Yeah, they'll do that. You better take em to the repair shop." What great support. Anyhow, thanks for the advice and I'll come here for more when they break again. By the way, I was using BASF tape, the kind they ship with the units.

Back