tape recording problems

Hi,

I have some problems when recording on my Marantz 4-track tape recorder. Especially on channels 1 and 4 I have volume fluctuations, mainly on the high frequencies.
Is this a problem on my tape recorder or a bad tape? I'm using a TDK SA-60. I know it's not the best tape but I don't have a better tape at the moment.
I have ordered some but until I'll recieve them I'm looking my 4-track.

I have cleaned the heads & the pinch roller, changed the belts and demagnetized the heads. So, I hope it's not the recorder's fault.

I'll appreciate any help. I need it for some recordings really soon! :(

I would clean the heads and things again to make sure everything is spotless. The tape you said you are buying, what kind is it? Buying nos is most often a bad idea. RMGI and ATR both make excellent tape. They both still manufacture tape new. I would guess the RMGI might be the better tape for you. I hope it's just bad tape because they can do some weird things to a deck. Good luck. I'm sure you will get better advice from others here.

Hi,

I have some problems when recording on my Marantz 4-track tape recorder. Especially on channels 1 and 4 I have volume fluctuations, mainly on the high frequencies.
Is this a problem on my tape recorder or a bad tape? I'm using a TDK SA-60. I know it's not the best tape but I don't have a better tape at the moment.
I have ordered some but until I'll recieve them I'm looking my 4-track.

I have cleaned the heads & the pinch roller, changed the belts and demagnetized the heads. So, I hope it's not the recorder's fault.

I'll appreciate any help. I need it for some recordings really soon! :(

My guess is that the tape is swimming around in the tape path and not making consistent contact with the head(s). This could be the fault of the tape, tape shell, or misalignment of the heads and/or guides. Your pinch roller may be clean but is it still round and pliable? You can have your symptoms if it doesn't grip properly.

dodgeaspen, it's a cassette tape recorder. I'm sorry that I didn't mention it more clearer. I have done my tests with a TDK SA-60.
I have cleaned the heads and everything twice! I'm pretty sure that they're spotless.

RRuskin, I'm not sure about the alignment of the heads & guides or the shape of the pinch roller!
I'll try to find some info on aligning heads and hope I can do it by my own. About the pinch roller, hope I'll find a replacement.

But I can't wait for the new cassettes I have ordered. Hope the problem is there and save the trouble.

dodgeaspen, it's a cassette tape recorder. I'm sorry that I didn't mention it more clearer. I have done my tests with a TDK SA-60.
I have cleaned the heads and everything twice! I'm pretty sure that they're spotless.

RRuskin, I'm not sure about the alignment of the heads & guides or the shape of the pinch roller!
I'll try to find some info on aligning heads and hope I can do it by my own. About the pinch roller, hope I'll find a replacement.

But I can't wait for the new cassettes I have ordered. Hope the problem is there and save the trouble.

Is it an older tape? If so, it could very well be the problem. Did you clean the pinch roller with head or rubber cleaner. Head cleaner will dry out a pinch roller and screw up its ability to grip. Try a rubber cleaner/rejuvinator instead.

It's a cassette I found locally. Not an old one but I haven't heard the best about SA-60s.

I used a head cleaner for the pinch roller. I'll try a rubber cleaner, or is it too late? I think it's wiser to find a new one. Any source? Try Marantz maybe?

It's a cassette I found locally. Not an old one but I haven't heard the best about SA-60s.

I used a head cleaner for the pinch roller. I'll try a rubber cleaner, or is it too late? I think it's wiser to find a new one. Any source? Try Marantz maybe?

Try the rubber cleaner. You will need it as part of your maintenance kit anyway. Get a new pinch roller for a back-up whether or not you need it now. You will eventually. Have no idea where to look. I only use my cassette units for retrieving old material for clients. Personally, I think cassette technology sucks.

Back