Tape Delay Question...

dedicatedlist

Does anybody have any old Tape Delay's if so post up pics.. i'm in the market for one.. but there's so many out there and so hard to find. Any help would be much appreciated.

dedicatedlist said:
Does anybody have any old Tape Delay's if so post up pics.. i'm in the market for one.. but there's so many out there and so hard to find. Any help would be much appreciated.

A good trick for a tape delay is if you can find an old dBX unit that will encode one channel and decode another at the same time, use it with the delay, encoding on the input and decoding on the output. I used to do that with an Echoplex (which I still have but which is not for sale), and that gave a bit of polish to its sound.

tape delay

I have heard that there's a tape delay out there that uses regular tapes (like you'd have music on.. ya know those things before cd's) - I was wondering if anybody has heard anything on that one.. or anything like it?

dedicatedlist said:
I have heard that there's a tape delay out there that uses regular tapes (like you'd have music on.. ya know those things before cd's) - I was wondering if anybody has heard anything on that one.. or anything like it?

They pretty much all do, I believe. The Echoplex uses custom cartridges, but the tape is 1/4 inch foam backed lubricated tape like that used in 8 track car players and the cartridge works the same way. The Roland uses reglar 1/4 inch tape in a serpentine loop. They all have to have some sort of looping mechanism so you don't have to stop and rewind.

You can get a few tape delay times from a regular reel to reel unit by monitoring the playback head as you record at different speeds, but that's a pretty cumbersome way to do it, although it uses standard reels.

Back