Tape coloring...

iheartblondie

CAM01292.jpgSo I'm trying to learn about this stuff and I heard that the color of the actual tape is a telltale sign of how good the recording will sound on it. Is that true? Here's a picture of 6 different tapes...Just by looking at the tape, which one would you say could be the highest quality?

I've never heard this, so I wouldn't have the slightest idea. Interesting idea, though.

Have you heard what color is supposed to be the best?

@famous beagle Nope I can't remember what the person told me, unfortunately. That's why I'm hoping someone here knows what I'm talking about.

Well, the older formulations tend to be redder and the more modern ones tend to be darker. To what extent the quality is actually improved is something I wouldn't like to guess at.

Also....you can take the same tape type/formulation, and it can vary in color from batch to batch....so there's no color quality index that I've ever heard of.

Now....how the tapes differ in smell, that's a different story.......

The lighter brown tape will usually sound worst. Cheap Ferric Oxide tape. The darker tape, will be a Chromium Dioxide tape, or pseudo Chrome Tape that uses the chrome, not ferric record bias. A good tape, in a good recorder can give a very good sound. I've not found anything to replace my tape deck, for what I use it for. Mike.

With the 2" deck....the reels of tape are sitting on the top deck, so after awhile the deck warms up and as the heat naturally rises, the tape starts to give off that sweet smell....that to me, smells very much like fresh USD bills (not sure how money smells in other countries). I guessing there must be some similar chems between the tape and the money....but I really like that tape smell.

It's like my Hammond organ....after it's powered up for awhile, the heat hits all the oil used on the tone wheels, the room fills with this wonderful smell....with an almost perfume like quality.

The lighter brown tape will usually sound worst. Cheap Ferric Oxide tape. The darker tape, will be a Chromium Dioxide tape, or pseudo Chrome Tape that uses the chrome, not ferric record bias. A good tape, in a good recorder can give a very good sound. I've not found anything to replace my tape deck, for what I use it for. Mike.

THIS. Thank you!! This is what my friend was telling me. Ok, now I remember lol

That's what I figured when he showed a picture of a bunch of cassette tapes.

Yeah...but apart from the picture, the title and the OP wasn't specific to cassette tapes only. I thought it was a broad "tape coloring" question. :)

I can cut pieces from 5 different 499 reels of tape....and they will be a bit different in color, yet all sound the same. Likewise, if you compare 456 and 911 tape....totally different colors, but I wouldn't say either one was "better" than the other.

Cassette tape is another world AFA sonics, quality...and colors go. I think the real way to judge, is to find the formulation that sounds best on YOUR cassette deck....regarldess of color.
Not every cassette deck can handle all formulations. There have to be options (bias/EQ) on the deck that allow you to take advantage of certain formulations....the type (and color) alone will not guarantee it will sound "best" with your deck.

It’s actually the color and shade of the cassette shell that makes the sound. Clear shells lend a most transparent sound, while translucent is slightly less bright, with solid shells being progressively darker as less light can enter the taperage to stimulate the magroltic particles. The passinisity of the solidaritous contraption slows down or speeds up sound waves for the desired effect.

A pink shell is best for a gayer sound like Emo. A white shell is best for music that lacks soul and swing, and of course dark brown to black shells are best for rap and hip hop. A red shell is best for Hate Grind, Screemo and various growl music sub genres, including the Inka Dinka Doo song by Jimmy Durante. A banana brown shell would be most appropriate for any post-2008 recordings of Hail to the Chief. But remember red and yellow black and white they are precious in His sight. I mean all the genres/colors have a separate but equal footing in the analog audio stratigarium.

Back