Tapco Blend 6 VS Yamaha MG10/2

Johnny Rico

Hi, I'm about to purchase one of these little mixer, and I'd like to know your own pros and cons about them.

Thanks ! :)

All those mixer have a control room out on them. Get your main mix nice and loud where you like it, send that to your PC. Send the control room outputs to your speakers, and you can turn that up/down all you want without changing the main mix you're sending to the PC.

I like yamaha mixers, I used one for a long time before I went multichannel. They work great, better pres than behringer. And prolly the tapco too, even tho the pres made by mackie, but I think mackie is overpriced in general so I'm not really a fan....

Hmm, cut and paste, I can do that as well ! :D

Anyone ?

-Edit-

I noticed that the Tapco had dedicated volume control for headphones and monitors, whereas the Yamaha has only one for these 2 controls.

Question:

Can I listen to my mix only with the headphones (and the monitors off) on the Yamaha ?

Last edited:
Hmm, cut and paste, I can do that as well ! :D

Huh? You edited your orig. post, I think... Didn't you ask something about keeping a contant volume on the main mix, while adjusting monitor volume?

I noticed that the Tapco had dedicated volume control for headphones and monitors, whereas the Yamaha has only one for these 2 controls.

Question:

Can I listen to my mix only with the headphones (and the monitors off) on the Yamaha ?

On the Yamaha, the same signal is fed to the CR outs and the headphone jack. You can turn off your monitors, that doesn't mean the signal isn't being sent. So yes, you can listen to your headphones with the monitors off.

In fact, I created another topic about monitors control and you said the same thing:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=267941

For the next question, what I meant is, can I listen to the headphone mix, while the monitors doesn't play any sound, and without shuting down or cutting the volume of the monitors ?

AHHHhhh that makes so much sense....... I thought I posted that msg, then I saw this thread with no replys and thought it didn't go, I didnt even realize it was a dif. topic! :o I thought I was losing my mind!

Anyway, the answer is no with the yamaha for sure. The monitors get the same signal as the headphones. You'd have to turn the monitors off to silence em if you have a signal to the phones. That's the case with most mixers, tho I see you found one, that's a nice feature.

You could send a headphone mix to the aux, but it'd be mono.. If you had a headphone amp, you could connect your monitors as one of the headphone jacks on there, and turn that headphone channel all the way down.

Other things I notice about these 2 mixers:

-The Yamaha has inserts, the Tapco doesnt. If you have external rack gear, inserts are convenient.

-The Tapco has 2 distinct aux sends, so you can make a whole separate stereo mix. The Yamaha has ONE aux, ie mono, a lot less useful. Thats a HUGE + for the tapco..

-The yamaha has more channels, and RCA inputs which are VERY handy!

-The yamaha has 2 more preamps. Will you ever need to run 3 or 4 mics at once?

-The yamaha has a high pass filter (80 Hz) on the 4 channels with the pre's. That's a nice feature for recording..

-The yamaha has compression on channels 1 & 2, with no real control of the parameters.. It looks cheap, like they tried to stick a gimmicky feature in there for marketing.. It's integrated with a $100 mixer, it can't sound that great, but who knows.. I'd use it for live bar gigs or something, but no way would it ever end up on a track.. The yamaha mixer I have is an older version of that, with no compression.

So they both have their +'s and -'s, you have to determine whats important to you.

Thanks a lot for all these precisions, it seems much clearer now ! :)

I see the greatest feature of the Tapco over the Yamaha is:

-The Tapco has 2 distinct aux sends, so you can make a whole separate stereo mix. The Yamaha has ONE aux, ie mono, a lot less useful. Thats a HUGE + for the tapco..

I'm sorry, but my lack of experience on mix can't help me on this feature, could you precise me furthermore some contextual usage of that thing? :confused:

Sorry for my english, I'm french ;)

You can run a whole separate mix. You have your main L/R outs, that's your main mix. You use the faders to specify how loud each channel gets sent to that main mix. There's also an aux1 and aux2 knob, and there's 2 aux outs. You can use the aux knobs to specify how loud each channel gets sent to the aux. Aux 1/2 can be thought of as L/R, but a whole separate mix. You could send tracks 1 & 2 to the main mix L/R very loud, and to aux 1/2 quieter. You can send the main mix to your PA, and the aux stereo mix to a headphone amp, another set of monitors, a tape recorder, whatever.

Thanks again, I know little by little some home studio functions thanks to you :)

As I can see, the Tapco has a dedicated control for the phones, so I could control separately monitors and headphones without shuting down anything, just with buttons ?

Back