"Tambourine Rain" a Bob Dylan, Gordon Lightfoot, and Tambourine Man DREAM! original

Winfred

Hi!

I was playing "Early Mornin' Rain" by Gordon Lightfoot as I had a thousand times in my life but suddenly I dropped down on "rain" and it catalyzed a whole song I never predicted. I've titled it "Tambourine Rain". I posted it on my YouTube channel where I now have three original songs and 3 covers. Any feedback is appreciated! If you like it if you could go to my YouTube video and give a Like and Subscribe it doesn't cost anything and increases my YouTube rating so they show my music more prominently. Thanks for taking the time to listen!

Carpe Diem!
Michael Jensen

Excellent cover! You have a great soothing voice. It must be very difficult to do 3 things at the same time, as you are doing here - singing into a mic with perfect projection, playing the harmonica, and of course, strumming/plucking the guitar, all at the same time :) You've done all 3 of those perfectly. The sound quality is great as well. Lovely vibe...would love to hear more of your performances!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!

I was playing "Early Mornin' Rain" by Gordon Lightfoot as I had a thousand times in my life but suddenly I dropped down on "rain" and it catalyzed a whole song I never predicted. I've titled it "Tambourine Rain". I posted it on my YouTube channel where I now have three original songs and 3 covers. Any feedback is appreciated! If you like it if you could go to my YouTube video and give a Like and Subscribe it doesn't cost anything and increases my YouTube rating so they show my music more prominently. Thanks for taking the time to listen!

Carpe Diem!
Michael Jensen

Good shit Maynard!

Some tips...

Since they are your lyrics post em when you post the songs so we can READ the message you singing......
Remember in the olden days when they'd put the lyrics inside the album so we could read them while we were traveling west in our Conestoga wagons..

Secondly just a smidge of reverb on the vocals n guitar would brighten the mix...I think

Anyways good on you for laying it down and putting it out there...keep em comin dude!

Excellent cover! You have a great soothing voice. It must be very difficult to do 3 things at the same time, as you are doing here - singing into a mic with perfect projection, playing the harmonica, and of course, strumming/plucking the guitar, all at the same time :) You've done all 3 of those perfectly. The sound quality is great as well. Lovely vibe...would love to hear more of your performances!
Hi Tae! Maynard ha! You have a real sense of humor, something I really need to adopt! It is your encouragement and Endlessrain's comment above that got me to re-post my video on YouTube! I was too negative for too long. Also great advice from Rich L. who had been very generous to me setting up my videos with a title and doing the re-mastering. I send the basic video to him and he has posted all of my songs, 3 originals, and 3 covers. I can hardly believe he is so kind and helps me get my music out. He told me about this thread for songs. Really I felt bad about my performance on this and pulled it off YouTube about July 23rd and took it off my FaceBook page. Rich's advice was to play one's song for whatever length is right for you and forget about the rule of no longer than 3 minutes. I tried very hard to fit this 15 minute song on average to being 4:30. Now only about 5 minutes ago I went back to my video and clicked on "Publish". I tried to pull it out of here as I was so embarrassed, but Homerecording has it so once you post it that's it, no pulling it out, at least from what I could tell as I really wanted to pull it. I wondered why it shows like it's posted on YouTube because today a guy gave a very nice comment too and my subscribers went from 43 to 44! It's been at 43 for months! I'll see how it does but I've been getting ready for my natural length of 15 minutes. I left a lot of stanzas and also medlodic (hopefully ha) passages I took out in the name of brevity. I play it better when I have elbow room and people have liked the song (and others) a lot at the coffeehouse open mics. I bought a small camera with the mic gain controls on it so I wouldn't have to re-learn ProTools all over again. I better stop as this gets too long! Thanks to you and Endlessrain I re-posted up until I do the full version. Now it is once again an official YouTube release! Thanks very much for taking the time!
Carpe Diem!
Mike
PS I clicked to respond to Tae and is it going to you endlessrain? That's good too as I was going to tell you to come here as it's meant for you too! I am grateful! Really if anyone doesn't like something let me know too.

Reactions: TAE
Good shit Maynard!

Some tips...

Since they are your lyrics post em when you post the songs so we can READ the message you singing......
Remember in the olden days when they'd put the lyrics inside the album so we could read them while we were traveling west in our Conestoga wagons..

Secondly just a smidge of reverb on the vocals n guitar would brighten the mix...I think

Anyways good on you for laying it down and putting it out there...keep em comin dude!
Hi Tae!

See my note to endlessrain as I thought I was replying to you and was going to tell endlessrain to go to that post as all the above applies to you too! You and Tae got me to re-publish about 10 minutes ago my song to YouTube as I had pulled it about 7-23-22. There was no means to pull it here so I had to leave it. You can hear more of my 3 covers and two other originals on my channel at YouTube. This is the link to my "Johanna". I understand if my other songs are not to your taste as music is different for everyone, but if you like it and can give me a "like" and "subscribe" it increases my ratings and YT puts my songs out more prominently. It was strange as a guy did a like, subscribe, and left a nice comment even though I pulled this video over a month ago. Just 2 hrs ago, before I re-published it, he somehow found it! I wonder how he could do that with a non-publish or active posting to YT. I am grateful to you and Tae and also _______ who is a member here (better not say his name as others might think he does free sound engineering) and also a sound engineer who helps with a lot of technical details. He was so kind to remaster several of my songs and put in nice title bars. I have a lot to be thankful for. Meanwhile I hope to get my full 15 minute version of Tambourine Rain published soon on YT.

Later!
Mike

Last edited:
Good shit Maynard!

Some tips...

Hi Again Tae! Sorry forgot to reply about lyrics. I'll post the lyrics here once I get the full version, the 15 minute one done... but I guess I'll type up the short version too! So nice you care enough to want to read my lyrics, wow!
Later!
Mike (I'm using my real name on YouTube recently and also at my Instagram. I have to figure out how to create a website very soon so I can have my website address on my business cards once I order some of those to hand out and I have an actual Gig coming up in a few weeks, a lot to get ready for.

Hi Endlessrain! I listened to your originals at SoundCloud and even though I verified my email I can't find an option to comment on your amazing music. I'll wait as maybe their system takes a while to recognize a new member. You music is hypnotic! All your special effects etc are way out! I can see your music in movie soundtracks! Also I'm wearing headphones and your play a lot of tricks with surrounding your audience with your whirlwind of music. You're some kind of genius musically and to do all the high tech effects and amazing sound quality. Thanks as I look forward to more!
Carpe Diem!
Mike

A great song. Interesting and engaging. You have done very well.

There are technical things that you could do. Others have mentioned them above.

I am impressed by the strides you have made since you first posted at HR.

A great song. Interesting and engaging. You have done very well.

There are technical things that you could do. Others have mentioned them above.

I am impressed by the strides you have made since you first posted at HR.
wow! Gecko zzed!! Hi!!

So nice of you to send a message and encouragement! I have more songs on YouTube now under my real name Michael Jensen I have three cover songs, and three of my originals. Rich L has been a saint! He remastered my songs and with my piano solo of 17 years ago he created a video and put beautiful pictures with it! I can hardly believe! Also you! So nice how at my thread you really gave such great advice. I'm going to go back there to comment as to what has happened. I have to laugh at myself though because it might seem I did a lot when my YouTube songs are posted with a big gap in time. I posted them almost a year ago now! I let diffidence creep in and for a long time didn't record. I'm going to do the real treatment of Tambourine Rain and thanks to Rich L's advice to ignore the 3 minute rule and play it out as it naturally feels. I also left out 2 melody lines to shorten it to 4:30 and will bring those back that yet other dimentions to my song and have lyrics too.

I clicked on Endlessrain's phenomenal music that's on SoundCloud and realized one can for free post their music there too, not videos, but I posted my song "Johanna" there about 2 hours ago to see how it does. Really my YouTube numbers aren't all that great. It's now under my real name Michael Jensen as for years before I ever posted music there I had the name mwj5368 that Rich L joked with me saying it sounds like a car license plate number ha! I talk about me and hope this note finds you well. You were so generous with great help too. I owe a lot to Rich L because he remastered my songs and some he put the title bars and corrected my tendencies with my YouTube songs. Like I was asked I'm going to type the lyrics to my shorter version of Tambourine Rain.

I know my music isn't for everyone but if you happen to like it on YT give a like and subscribe as YT then puts my music out more in their system so more hear my music. so nice of you to reply! I best head for bed and see the doctor today too and it's 4:16AM here ha! Did your winter go okay? Are you getting a drought there too? I wonder if you got a lot of the smoke from the fires in Australia last year. It's always amazing to think that it's the start of spring there! We in Minnesota have been more fortunate with the heat, but all else that's happening in the world, wow!
Later!
Mike

Hi Endlessrain! I listened to your originals at SoundCloud and even though I verified my email I can't find an option to comment on your amazing music. I'll wait as maybe their system takes a while to recognize a new member. You music is hypnotic! All your special effects etc are way out! I can see your music in movie soundtracks! Also I'm wearing headphones and your play a lot of tricks with surrounding your audience with your whirlwind of music. You're some kind of genius musically and to do all the high tech effects and amazing sound quality. Thanks as I look forward to more!
Carpe Diem!
Mike
Thanks so much for taking the time to listen to my tracks, Winfred. I really appreciate it. As someone who is just starting out learning electronic music production, your encouraging feedback means a lot. I still have a lot to learn when it comes to electronic music and I hope to keep improving with more practice. By the way, hope to hear more of your amazing soothing music in the future. Thanks again!

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen to my tracks, Winfred. I really appreciate it. As someone who is just starting out learning electronic music production, your encouraging feedback means a lot. I still have a lot to learn when it comes to electronic music and I hope to keep improving with more practice. By the way, hope to hear more of your amazing soothing music in the future. Thanks again!
Hi Endlessrain!
I would have never guessed you are just getting your start in electronic music production! I'm only amateur, but to me you've got it all! I don't know what good my feedback is as I'm as I say only amateur. I signed up and put my Tambourine Rain on SoundCloud and it seems like YouTube, if no one knows you're there it doesn't do much good. It is something to try though only I just ran into a trap with them. I was going to search other musicians and SC blocks my access with this ad:
"Listen anytime, anywhere. Get all your favorite tracks, mixes and playlists on SoundCloud offline when you upgrade to Go+" They then give you the option of "Upgrade Now" or "No Thanks" and clicking No Thanks doesn't make the ad go away and you can't access SC further without upgrading. I clicked to reload the screen and it still persists. I also closed the site and re-accessed and it still does it. It basically gives you one option and that's to upgrade or nothing, plus that's all after you've signed up and uploaded your music video. Does that happen to other musicians? I feel like I wasted my time creating a page there, either that or I don't understand their system. Thanks again for sharing your talent!

Carpe Diem!
Mike... Is there a way to easily change your name, like me from Winfred to my real name? Being a musician I have to use my real name in any way I can, yet first things first as I'm denied access as of now.

Last edited:
Good shit Maynard!

Some tips...

Hi TAE!

Sorry I took so long with the lyrics. When I post my video of the full version that's about fifteen minutes there'll be a lot more. It's really something someone besides me wants to sing one of my songs!! That's a real honor!! Here it is!

Tambourine Rain
by
Michael Jensen

In the early morning rain.

In the early morning rain, (Deeper on "rain" second time because that was the moment with singing Gordon's song all my life that suddenly catalyzed my whole song).

with Bobby at the sail, and Gordy at the helm, with one hand, yah that’s one hand wavin’ free.

Freeeee, onnneee haaaand,

Hey there Mister Tambourine Man.

Oh I can hear your jingle jangle.

Hey there Mister Tambourine, you ain’t no machine!

You’re gonna rust, you’re going to turn to dust in the early mornin' rain,

but I tell you Tambourine, your rust never sleeps.

And your still waters they run deep in the early mornin’ rain.

I’m sailin’ away from far across(t) that lonesome ocean.

We’ll fly the mountains of Madrid, and in our boots of Spanish leather we’ll hike the coast of Barcelona.

Can you hear our footsteps?

Hey Tambourine, you’re tangled up in Blues.

Hey there Mister Tambourine.

Tell me ‘bout your big machine.

OOOOOOOOh (of chorus melody)

Hey there Mister Tambourine Rain. Tambourine Rain!!

Please oh please bring the world love, bring the world peace.

Very cool lyrics brother. Colorful and descriptive. Also nice use of lines and mixes of lines from the originals ( plays on words )

Lastly a big AMEN to bringing the world love n peace!

Peace brother!

Hi TAE!

I had to listen then type the lyrics and didn't get to it right away, but nice idea! You have a sense of humor too! That is only the 4:30 version. I have about a 15 min version coming. I must get ready for it so I can video at my best and be sure my lyrics are in best order. I video it of course at home and a very nice guy here at Home Recording who helped me with questions in the past does the re-mastering and final touches all as gratis to me, which I can hardly believe! I'm not sure if I should mention his name as others reading this might think he does engineering as a service. Thank you too brother for your kind words and encouragement. I decided to after a month of pulling it from YouTube, and no chance to delete it here that I re-posted it on YouTube because of you and some here.

Yah! Peace Bro!
Mike

Back