tama rockstar custom question...

mm2k5

Bass Drum 18" x 22"
Snare Drum 5-1/2" x 14"
Toms 9" x 10", 10" x 12"
Floor Tom(s) 12" x 14"

are those sizes pretty well standard by todays drums? mainly just asking about the toms..or are them smaller? I found a great deal on these, so i was wondering if it was worth it. Thanks!

www.sodirock.com
The MattMan

That's more of a fusion set (which are nice, don't get me wrong), but today's "standard" sets are usually:

Snare: 5.5" x 14"
Bass: 18" x 22"
Toms: 9" x 12", 10" x 13", and 16" x 16"

Of course these are the "normal", "average", "unoriginal" sounding drums, and I'm sure playing around with the sizes could be fun. I've always wanted a fusion set (I have a standard now), and have begun building my own (custom sizes, neither fusion standard or normal standard). So far I'm happy with the results (finished snare and small tom). Do some research on shell depths and sizes and see what you like.

well shit.....that just ruined my whole day....i was thinking they were smaller...sumbitch...any other comments from anyone?

You should get them, rack them all, and then get an additional 16" floor tom, which would leave you with a 10", 12", 14", and 16" set of toms. Very cool!

The fusion sizes are all the manufacturers are making (for the most part) anymore. If you go to GC or Sam Ash, you will find walls full of drums that are the smaller size. I think (i'm not sure) that the Tama Rockstar only comes in these sizes. (you can order the 16, like was said earlier) Go get them, Big drums have fallen out of fashion, and for the most part are a custom order. (when was the last time you saw a 26" kick drum?)

Well, I really like how tama came up with the no hole for tom mounting..that was a major plus with me...i like the all wood thing...wood snare...and the idea about the extra tom is great! i might just do that!!! thanks everyone

Yeah, what is the deal with stores just having masses of fusion sets?

The funny thing is, the sets I see the most that people play around here, and even professionals in bands and on TV, are just a 12" mounted tom, 16" floor tom, and normal snare and bass drum. VERY few drums are even sold like that!

Personally, I do not like the "standard" sizing. I think drum manufacturers should go with 12", 14", and 16" toms.

What's REALLY weird is that every metal band you see still has huge drums, like the 14", 16", 18" tom sets with two big bass drums, and often with huge snares as well. Lots of people like to play metal drums. But do you see these sets in stores AT ALL? No...

It's all pretty weird if you ask me.

Who the hell is John Bottom? I had a Ludwig in the early '80s wit h2 28 inch kicks and 8 toms and a 12 inch deep snare. I was an idiot.

Sheesh, how long did it take for them to stop resonating? :P

I have nfc who John Bottom is, that was the ad my cousin gave me to post. I will definately ask him.

Jesus, I know who John Bonham is :P ...and I'm positive my cousin does as well, I think he might've had one of those brain farts when writing the ad, but I'll ask him.

Hey good news maybe, the local music store said they could probably get the the regular sized kit for the same price, so thats pretty cool. I dunno if I want mahogany or the caramel fade...thats what i have it down to...if anyone has either please reply with pics. matt@sodirock.com

www.sodirock.com
The MattMan

Remember the fade thing might be a fad. I always go for wood tones or solid colors. You don't want to be selling something dated looking 5 years from now. every once in a while you will find a kit on ebay from the mid 80s that is white with red chinese letters on it. (top of the line birtch pearl kit: $150)

on the other hand, i have wanted a faded one for like 5 years....lol...and i collect sets anyways...so i dont plan on selling it...but oh well...thanks tho

Back