talkback mics with momentary switching

innobidova

I did a search, but didn't find much. What I'd like to know is, if I get a few cheap SM58 copies with on/off switches (like the GLS ES-58 three-pack), how farfetched would it be to replace those switches with momentary pushbuttons from Radioshack?

I wouldnt seee why it would be an issue for a talkback mic... Just finding a switch the right size to fit in the housing could be the only issue.

Neet idea.

You might do better just to buy a microphone designed for paging systems. I know Shure makes a variety of them, from desktop stand ones (like what your high school principal had) to gooseneck mounted, like you see at some restaurants. I would try searching eBay...I bought a Shure 550L paging mic for $10. Another bonus is that a lot of them come with an extra pair of wires tied to the switch that you can use to trigger a relay, which can have a number of uses. When I get the time I plan on wiring mine to my console's Talkback-to-Cue switch, so that simply pushing the mic's talk button enables the talkback function on my console.

Find an old CB radio mic and put a new end on it.

Somethink like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cobra-Uniden-DM...ryZ48695QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

e8_1_b.JPG

ooo, semi related. How bout a red "record" light! anyone got any ideas for one of those? Probably have to wire it to the LED circuit in the recorder. Always thought those were awesome

Apparently there are more options to explore than I realized. It tempts me to settle for the latching on/off switches, because I don't want to make TOO big of a deal out of it. I appreciate all the suggestions, however, and will certainly take every one of them into consideration. I still like my original idea to retrofit momentary pushbuttons. I'll post back once I come to a decision.

For me, I've decided on a Sennheiser MD421 II with a desk arm just to make things seem professional. I'll have a ProCo Power Mute on the floor for PTT operation.

But,

I'm still unsure of what I want for the guest. I was thinking about the Shure Model 450 Series II because it has the option of momentary or latch switching and it, too, looks professional. It's also cheaper than I thought; about $75 at Amazon.com, of all places! That, and they're even cheaper on ebay! So I'm pretty excited about getting this mic for talkback, but one thing that concerns me is the connection. The manual says that the seven foot cable is non-detachable and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the XLR connection that I'm looking for. Should I get a cheap mixer to plug the 450 into, and run a mic cable (fifty foot) from the mixer to my Firepod?

I would think that hardwiring a 50' cable to the mic is impractical, but so would linking two XLR cables. It just seems sacrilegious. I really don't know what I should do, though, considering the 50' cable I want to implement. Should I go ahead and wire the mic unbalanced with a phone plug and use a DI box? Help a newbie out! :o

Back