Talkback + Headphone mix.

djgc

Hi all.

I am building my own studio atm and I'm at the point where I have to choose my gear.

I am planning to get a 8in/8out M-audio interface attached with A/D converter.
If I don't get a mixer how do I setup a talkback system and a proper headphone system where each individual instrument players can have their own distinct headphone mixes? :)

thanks!!

I hate to come off as a presonus whore but it's what I know, I'm sure M-Audio probably has something like this.

http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=6

You can have two stereo mixes coming into it and each channel can blend the two individually, I have mine set up to have the main mix on A and a click on B, so say the drummer and the bass player can listen to the click and eveyone else can listen to mix A. Each channel also has a line coming in that can either be just there instrument or an entirely different mix.

Of course you need to beable to send individual mixes into this. Not sure if the interface you plan on getting can do that.

ya i was wondering how i can send each individual tracks from my daw back to the headphone mix so e.g. some ppl might want to just listen to themselves or with the click or with specific instruments. on a mixer i know you do it with auxilary but without a mixer im kinda clueless :confused:

I use a firestudio and with cubase and you can set the outs of each track to a track in the firestudio software mixer (the default is the main mix). Then you can set up several different mixes and send those mixes to the outs on the firestudio.

Check out this diagram. It's almost Identical to what I have set up.

http://www.presonus.com/media/diagrams/hp60-hookup.jpg

Again, I swear to god I don't work for presonus, It's just what I know.

so your setup can create individual mixes for each headphones?

e.g. certain instruments in each headphone depending on what the player wants

oh and does talkback have a button to trigger it?

Yup, I can do up to 5 if I use the mains. The one annoying thing about the firestudio is that you have to send the mixes in stereo so you have to use 2 of the 10 outs when one would do. So If you want click that gets cut down to 4.

And yes the HP60 has a button you push for talkback and I think you can hook up a foot switch if you like.

Back