Talk to Me

Blue Esq

Thought I'd test the waters, and see what you all think of a recent tune. It's called "Talk To Me" and you can find it here

Thanks for your time.

Nice work. This tune shows promise. Here are some suggestions. The chorus started to grow on me by the end, but by putting it right at the begining it got "in my face." Right off I wasn't sure I'd like the song. I think you'd do better by starting with a verse and then moving into the chorus.

Overall the mix seems pretty good. However, it seemed to sound better in my headphones that through my speakers. Did you mix it in headphones?

Keep it up.

That was a pretty cool tune. I especially like the fade at the end where you kind of went ambiant (it had a Beatles kind of quality to it).

Good vocals and interesting lyrics. I also liked the jangly guitar sound you got on there.

The bass line was interesting and held my attention. I also like the way the bass steps at the end of the song. Overall a good song!

Thanks for the comments, and thanks for taking the time to listen.

I especially like the fade at the end where you kind of went ambiant (it had a Beatles kind of quality to it).

My friend, Wawazzat, did that. I like it, too. He's responsible for the harmonies on the tune, too. It's nice to bury my medicore vocals with his good ones....

Overall a good song!

Thank you for that.

Did you mix it in headphones?

I use a mixture of nearfields and headphones. What did you like more in your headphones than waht you were hearing over your speakers?

heh heh heh...

I'm receiving waaaay too much credit here.

Man, you gotta love that!

:thanks:
:cool:

The tune's allright, but you've got some sonic problems....

- The mix is very thin-sounding, like you over-eq'd the mids right out

- overall, the track balances could be better defined and the entire mix needs some dynamics and "punch" to differentiate the chorus/hooky bits from the verses

- the vocal is very prominent, which is not necessarily bad, except that what's making them too up front is a tubbiness in the low-mids that is muddying things up quite a bit

- the drum kit elements could come out a bit more - they tend to get buried - but it could be that they're fight with that vocal tubbiness I mentioned

Revisit some of these problems and you'll have yourself a decent cut!

Good luck,

Bruce

Thanks Bear for the time and the comments.

the vocal is very prominent, which is not necessarily bad, except that what's making them too up front is a tubbiness in the low-mids that is muddying things up quite a bit

You're absolutely right. That, and some sibalance problems are the two things I'm going to address in the lead vocal in the next mix.

- overall, the track balances could be better defined and the entire mix needs some dynamics and "punch" to differentiate the chorus/hooky bits from the verses

I think the problem is being too conservative on some guitar levels on the choruses. But, I agree, the choruses don't "explode" the way they ought to....

the drum kit elements could come out a bit more - they tend to get buried - but it could be that they're fight with that vocal tubbiness I mentioned

The kick is very deep, and I'm having a tough time pulling it out.. Just seems like there's not enough "snap" from the beater. But, pulling the lower mids from the lead voice, may make some room for what little beater is there to be heard.... Anyway, it's one more thing to play with.

Thanks again for your time and help.

Great tune. I like the vocal treatment a lot. As Bruce pointed out, it's just a little thin, needs more ass (don't we all:D ).
The lead is slick as well.

I agree with most of the comments, etc. I like the organ waaaay back there too, and the bass gtr sound is good too. Nice pop tune. Whip the eq balance into shape, and I think you see most of the mix problems disappear.

Track Rat & mixmkr

Thanks for your time and comments.

I spent some time yesterday working on this, and I think I've gotten it closer. Ended up cutting some low mids out of the lead vocal, and de-essing them a bit. Put some lows and low mids into the bass guitar. Raised the guitars a hair. Also compressed the whole song a bit. The kick hits harder now - still not much snap to the sound - but it doesn't sit so soft anymore - you can hear it through the whole mix.

It's not perfect, but it may be about as good as I can get it.

Thanks all for your help.

Back