Talk to me about counterpoint

Scottgman

Legend in Own Mind
Or is it counter melody? Are they the same thing? I'm a little confused.

Check out 'Sample Chorus' at the following link for an example of what I think it is:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=4454&alid=-1

In that sample is one vocal line a "counterpoint" to the other?

Anyway, my band was working on a new song last night and we did something very similar to the above mp3 during the chorus. I was just wondering what it was called if there is a name for it.

Cheers!

My understanding of counterpoint is that it's basically two (or more) distinct melodies that are sung/played simultaneously. How it differs "counter melody", I'm not sure. I think there are stricter rules that govern the composition of a contrapuntal melody.

Some good examples would be Dufay, Palestrina, and Bach's inventions.

I'd check Wikipedia for a more in-depth explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterpoint

Man, I do so many counterpoint excersises for school. Counterpoint is basically two melodies moving simutaneously. There are a lot of rules about the consonances and dissonances used, but pretty much if it sounds good that's all that matters.

yeah the rules don't *really* matter, only if you really can't figure something out and you're stuck, then they'll help you make it not suck

Ok, so I think I understand now. Basically, counterpoint is a melody performed on top of another melody??

Let me just cut to the chase and provide examples so we all know what the hell I'm talking about.

Here is what I think is an example of counterpoint from one of my songs:

Disclaimer: This hasn't been mixed. This is just an idea we were bouncing around and haven't committed to keeping it yet. So, what I'm saying is... hopefully it will sound better once we've decided to keep it and finish mixing the song.

Click Example 2

Are either (or both) of these examples a vocal "counterpoint?"

If so (or not), does Example 2 sound good? :D

Last edited:
why does it matter if it's counterpoint or not... if it sounds good to you... it is good and someone else somewhere will like it.

It really doesn't matter-- I was just curious more than anything.

And this seemed like a great opportunity to get other musicians input on whether that chorus sounds OK... hehe. So do you think it sounds OK? :D

Back