talk about service!

guitar junkie

Guitar User.
So I guess this story started in 2007 when I decided to upgrade my monitors to something a little nicer...

I saved up some money and headed to Guitar Center on black friday for the "sale" and looked around... Sure enough Blue Sky EXO monitors like I had been fooling around on in their "studio" for hours on Mondays when I worked about a mile away from the store at my merchandiser job...

Picked the suckers up at a pretty decent price and took my big box home...

Set everything up and turned it on... Wonderful sound! First time to really be able to mix with a sub in the mix and boy did it make my acoustic mixes sound a lot more like the guitar I remember tracking...

So I mix a whole record on them then go out on tour with it, come back to the studio for a few days over the summer and power up the rack...

No monitors! I replace the fuse and check again, still plugged into the same old Furman unit... Nothing!

I don't have time to deal with a manufacturer right now though due to the fact that I just got married, have gigs to play etc, etc... I plug in my old M Audio Dx4s and just use them again. Sigh... Oh well the M Audio stuff sounded ok anyway just didn't have the bass response.

Mind you I never drive monitors hard doing what I mix so I have no issues to date, then the M Audios blow out too...

Oh well I guess it is time to do something... Blue Sky units still in closet "Hmmm maybe try and whine and moan to the company about them taking a crap"

So.... I email Blue Sky... Tell them exactly what happened and ask if they can be fixed... Minutes later I get a reply from tech support and within 15 minutes have arranged to have a set of replacement guts sent to me to install in my rig.

Polite and informative customer service, with a feeling that the manufacturer really cares about my purchase of their product...

Now if M-Audio can even come close to helping out this much with their product I will be really pleased with them as well...

But I will have my old EXO 2.1 back!

It's nice when a company will go to the effort to do something for their end user.

That's good to know.

I had great service with Presonus and John Hardy - both did free repairs and shipping years after the warranties expired (more like a decade) and with no receipt.

I had bad experiences dealing with M-Audio, Ableton and (though not a music company) Euro-Pro - the guys who make Shark steamers.

M-Audio - refused to look seriously at a note hold on problem I was having when hooked up with a MIDI cable... they insisted that anybody who didn't use USB was nuts... but at that time MIDI cables worked better with my gig rig and their keyboard had a MIDI jack on it so I didn't understand the resistance.

Ableton - til this day they refuse to make Live adhere to the MIDI spec that came out in 1983 that everybody else in the industry uses. Sometimes they answer the phone... sometimes they don't. It's a little scary when you look at the job opportunities on their website sometimes.

Shark Steamers (I do use this to clean my studio and everything else) - dismal construction combined with refusing to send or sell any replacement parts. Lots of ads though.

Yo guitarjunkie! It all depends on the relationship you have with your GC people. I had a friend who knocked over one of my M-Audio monitors and killed it. I took it to GC *with visible damage* and told them I knew it couldn't be replaced under warranty- I just wanted to buy a new one. My main Pro Audio guy just said, " What the hell. We'll repair it and use it for a demo. Go pick out a speaker." No money changed hands. I'm not kidding. That's the kind of stuff that can happen when you have a real relationship with sales staff. It's also why I bought an Avalon AD2022 from that guy a week later.-Richie

yeah I think that I'll just let those things go for a while and use the Blue Sky units, they sounded a lot better anyway...

Just an update...

Blue Sky shipped the parts, and I installed them with nothing more than a phillips screwdriver.

The whole thing took me less than 15 minutes to do, and I was up and running again!

Boy does the sub make mixing a lot more simple...

I guess there was some kind of problem with the crossover or something...

Seems I have some of the first of these models they shipped and there might have been a bug in em, I replaced the amp and added a filture between the sub and amp, that I guess somehow limited the output load... Anyway they sound smoother than I remember now, and I can't really kick about having a company take care of their messes without a lot of blood sweat and tears.

Back