takoustic

noodles2k5

Here's a little acoustic thing I recorded for a friend of mine. Took about 4 hours including the time he took to write out parts of it. :rolleyes:

Used:
Logic Express
Behringer MX802A
Shure Sm57
Shure Pg58
Jasmine ES31C
MM2 bass copy

Last edited:
Reactions: XLR
compression on acoustic. vocal not much high end, yet...but ok, not a problem, ac/gt very in the face. maybe need a gate for that pause?, I hear a little noise, second one seemed better, Am I hearing the same exact strumming throughout? It's clean tho. Kind of slow for me, a click when it stopped. Not bad at all, I'm still in need of a pay-off or a climax of some kind.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not very familiar with how compression works just yet. I blame that on the lack of reference monitors. What you hear right now has very minimal effects. I just added a little reverb on the vox and used the default acoustic compressor in Logic. The noise is from the A/C because he decided he wanted to move my mics around!!

It's only four chords through the whole song. I was expecting a climax too. :(

I think a condenser mic and better preamps would make the vocals a ton better, but I had to make with what I already have.

Good song and performance. Some potential there.

Way too much compression - gtr's kind of squashed. If the compression was done w/software during mixing, I'd ease up on it. If it was done during tracking, you've GOT to get an RNC and use it on supernice mode - it'll level it out but won't squash the gtr sound out of shape.

Bass is out of tune on very low pitches.

The arrangement needs something - would benefit from a more active and melodic bass part, and/or occasional ac gtr licks in the upper range.

Tim

Hehe...Just noticed that you said you used a software compressor.

Well, you might try slowing down the compressor's attack on the ac gtr to around 20 ms, with release around 100 ms and a ratio of 2:1. And set the threshold so you're just getting 2-3 dB of gain reduction.

Tim

i agree with Tim, its a good song and has potential but sounds overcompressed. the bass would sound so much better if it didnt just sort of follow the guitar, and although i like simplicity in songs like this, the guitar could use a little bit of help from some alternate chords or something to liven it up. great vocal performance on this one.

Back