Taking the plunge

circle x

I recently, or more appropriately, recently ordered a few things to get the ball rolling on a semi-pro studio. I say Semi-Pro not to invoke images Will Ferrell dunking a basketball but because I have not officially launched my website or made money or signed a billion dollar contract. Right before my head exploded from reading reviews on gear, I rolled the dice on a few items listed below. I am looking for glaring gaps I need to fill. Not the, "nice to haves," but the, "must haves."

Focusrite Saffire 56
Sonar Producer 8 (been a user since Pro Audio 9. Sorry Pro Tools)
KRK Gen II RP8 (mopad isolation pads)
Rode NTK
Aphex 204
Monster Power Conditioner 3500
CME USB Keyboard
Custom Tele (81/85 pick-ups)
Washburn Southwest Series D46SPK
Schecter Stiletto 4 String Bass
Guitar Rig 3
BFD2 FXpansion
SOFT SOUND® Anechoic studio foam 3inches floor to ceiling
Waves SSL 4000
Waves Platinum
New Compy (8gb ram, 1TB storage, 24" LCD, 2.33 Quad Core, Vista Ult - 68bit)
I want to offer pitch correction, mixing, mastering, retracking, and drums track via BFD2

What would you suggest for $500? That is what is left of my budget. I was going to use Guitar Rig 3 for most electric applications until I could get a good mic/amp combo. I went with the NTK for Vox and acoustic guitar applications and I hope the two Liquid channels are for real at the $900 price range.

Last edited:
If you only have $500, I'd get either a shure sm57 or audix i5 to mic the cab with. Each are around $100 and guitar cabs are what they do best. The rest I'd spend on an amp. For $400 you could get a used fender deville. There's one for sale right now on gearslutz.com in the classifieds for around that. I have a fender deville and they sound great. Just be aware that you might have to replace the tubes in a used one, and they aren't cheap. I'm sure others have their preferences as far as amps go. There's lots of threads here you can read for other recommendations. I'd go to the nearest guitar center or music shop and plug in your guitar and play through all of them. Decide which one you want and go find a used one. Or maybe they will have a new one that you like within your budget. Buy the one that puts out the sound you are after.

How about a pair of SDCs for stereo recording? If you need to go cheap, a pair of Naiants will come in handy and won't put much of a dent in your budget.

I have used 57's in the past because it was a "must." Not a bad mic. Not a good mic. Every studio on earth and mars has a few so I may pick up one. I forgot to mention I use have two HD 280's that I love to track with. I have played the Deville and really like it. I kind of want a Laney honestly.

I was going to get the Mojave Audio MA-100SP but then I realized I am not made of cash so I looked at the Shure KSM141 but I really haven't like Shure since my KSM44 cooked. A pair of CAD e70's may do the trick. I am not really well versed at stereo recording. I tend to record everything mono. I just play the same stuff over and over the use panning to get a nice stereo image.

Also, afer hearing Dweezle use Guitar Rig on youtube I was pretty impressed with modeling.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gqCtPcN5NE

Last edited:
Back