Taking the plunge...

Elton Bear

Unregistered Abuser

This is just a college project, the first thing I've let you all hear - let me know what you think.

It was done in a treated acoustic space using protools, I'm playing the drums, 3 of us worked on it all, and the sax was recorded a bit too last-minute...

Once the sax solo comes in at the end the song drags a bit, so don't feel you have to listen to it all!

Cheers for reading/hopefully listening, Elton.

Elton,the "treated space" makes all the difference in the recording.

But I think mix has some flaws:

*Bass drum needs more volume (don´t know exactly how much)to appear and match with bass guitar.
*Whole mix lacks frequencies starting ~1,5k, till the extreme higs.The eq will give you all the punch and clarity to the very well recorded intruments (the improvement in the snare, for ex, is incredible).

Snare sounds great (try the eq correction...)
Bass gtr, sax and guitar sounds very good too(sax performance ,you already talked about...).
Seems strange to me that the mix is so "dark" in the mids and higs.Considering this frequencies issues (and lack of BD) seems that mixing room (oposite to the recording) has no treatment, principally in the highs.But recording itself is excellent.

Ciro
www.soundclick.com/openstation

Hey, cheers! That's encouraging for the next time. The drum sound is a D6 in the kick and a spaced OH pair. Our tutor made us mic toms, snare, and undersnare, but I cheekily muted them 'coz I didn't like the sound.
I'm glad you like the snare sound, I was trying really hard to get the performance down to get a good sound without close mics.

There's very little EQ anywhere, only on the Bass Drum to take out some boom, maybe that was a mistake...

I agree with all of Ciro's comments. The mix lacks "air". It has no shine or shimmer. The kick has a pretty good natural sound but could be much louder in the mix. The mix also sounds very mono until the little interlude and the weird sax parts. Get some seperation with the guitars to fill out the stereo field and free up space in the mix. The kick may come out more on it's own without everything trampling all over it.

Back