taking off pick-up cover

gibsonguy09

In other threads people have suggested that i take off the pick-up cover because i hear a rattling noise coming from around that area. Is it hard to figure out how to fix-it? What exactly should i do wh en i get the cover off? Any ideas will be highly appreciated.
-Eric

On that Gibson? I don't know if I'd recommend it, others may have different advice. If it comes off easy, maybe. If you have to force it, you could end up with a 1/4 mile of copper wire in your lap, and a sad look on your face. It may just be that the springs are tired, and the pickup is rattling around in it's hole.

Does it just have the one pickup, with a black plastic cover, screwed onto the body? It should be OK to unscrew it and see what's in there. It looks like there aren't any springs, I was thinking of a different model. It could just be the pickup wire rattling around in there.

Didn't you post a pic? I can't find it now. P-90s a lot of times are screwed into a block of wood, not mounted on springs like many other pickups.

i've heard horror stories of people pulling the covers off of p90s only to end up with a lap full of windings. be careful.

heroics321 said:
i've heard horror stories of people pulling the covers off of p90s only to end up with a lap full of windings. be careful.

Yup. Done it. Most everything I've learned about audio has involved me breaking something or electrocuting myself.

I don't know, man. As much as I advocate DIY and tinkering, that's a hell of an instrument. You might just want to take it to a tech you trust and then ask them how they did it for future reference.

Is it a mechanical rattle or can you hear the rattle through an amp?

riantide said:
Is it a mechanical rattle or can you hear the rattle through an amp?

It is a mechanical and it isn't coming through the amp. it does it a little bit whne its plugged in becuase the pickups picked it up :confused: . It doesn't when it isn't also

TAKE IT TO A GOOD LUTHIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE!!!!!

And not Guitar Center!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gibsonguy09 said:
GUitar Center? As in in general or Guitar atttention Center

www.guitarcenter.com

Big chain, and the technicians there are probably not qualified to handle this extraordinary vintage instrument that God has put in your hands. A guitar like that should only be worked on by top notch pros. It's vintage value could be easily ruined by someone unqualified.

You wouldn't have the oil in your Ferrari changed at Wal-Mart, would you?

Back