Taking my tape machine to the repair center: Any thoughts on what I should ask for?

SongJohnn

MY pioneer RT-1050 is going in to be serviced due to a failed channel and some other trivial issues. While it's at the repair bench, what should I tell the tech to do? I want the thing quieter... not that I've noticed it being noisy, but I really want to know the output path has been gone through to be as quiet as it can. That means new resisters, new caps...etc. Can a competent tech creatively take a look at this? I mean it could be two resisters in an audio circuit that make more of a dramatic change than an entire re-cap could. So I'd like to get this machine from 1974 to get souped up for low-noise recording as the music I tend to tape is very dynamic. Any thoughts on what to ask and how much to expect to pay? Thanks! JOhn

If it uses op-amps, there are more modern designs. Some people here upgrade them, but unless it's a drop-in replacement it often requires some kind of extra filter cap to prevent the circuit going into self-oscillation as they have a much wider frequency range than the original chip.
This isn't something I've done myself, but I've read about it.

You should be able to find some decent techs in san Diego. Otherwise, LA has the best.
However;

I have found in general that bench charges can add up pretty quick.
Often they surpass the value of the deck itself.
Also, modding and upgrading stuff can be a can of worms especially without a clear recipe.
Unless you have the skills and knowledge to do all the work yourself, sometimes you are better off just buying a better deck.

Money is not an object for me. Not that I'm well off but this thing was built in 1974, January that year according to the serial No. I also paid a very good price for the unit so I don't have to pay for the repairs I mentioned earliest in the first post. Those repairs are covered. Also, the heads on this machine are barely rubbed - the whole thing is shinny like-new. Thanks for the info!

pioneer.JPG.opt742x704o0,0s742x704.JPG

Back