Taking apart an MXL990

thisisbrianly

Hey guys,

Do any of you happen to know how to take apart an MXL990?

I dropped it tonight and it dented the gold screen--so I want to take it off and see if i can push the screen back out.

I unscrewed the bottom, but cant get into the inside of the mesh.

Any help would be great.
Thanks

Unscrew the bottom.. then there should be some screws around the outside of the PCB. They'll get the screen off.

The screen in front is part of the capsule, it's not that easy to get off. You can unscrew the capsule off the front of the mic, but you still won't be able to get to the screen. I would just leave it if it sounds okay. Otherwise maybe try pulling the screen back out with a pin.

reshp1 said:
The screen in front is part of the capsule, it's not that easy to get off. You can unscrew the capsule off the front of the mic, but you still won't be able to get to the screen. I would just leave it if it sounds okay. Otherwise maybe try pulling the screen back out with a pin.
I think you're thinking of a front address mic - the 990 is side address. It's easy to take apart - I think you just unscrew the mesh housing from the bottom (PCB) housing after unscrewing the bottom ring. I don't have access to my mics currently to verify that. Here's a pic of a disassembled 990 housing and PCB (ignore the capsule - it's from an Oktava 219.)

Attachments

• mxl990csm.jpg
    mxl990csm.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 140
crazydoc said:
I think you're thinking of a front address mic - the 990 is side address. It's easy to take apart - I think you just unscrew the mesh housing from the bottom (PCB) housing after unscrewing the bottom ring. I don't have access to my mics currently to verify that. Here's a pic of a disassembled 990 housing and PCB (ignore the capsule - it's from an Oktava 219.)

crazydoc,

thats all it was! thanks man i appreciate it....its almost back to the way it was, i can barely even tell where the dent was.

thanks, you were a HUGE help.

Off topic. Grazy doc, did you modify the electronics while swapping the capsule? And the results?
Matti

ittam said:
Off topic. Grazy doc, did you modify the electronics while swapping the capsule? And the results?
Matti
New thread??? Many of us may be interested. (Me, for one.)

ittam said:
Matti

Here's a thread where I posted the swap procedure. Due to recent adverse life events I've been unable to follow through with further mods, especially the caps around the capsule and removing the HF boost disc.
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=111505

However, in a few months I expect things to be up and running again, better than before, so I'll get back to it.:)

And BTW, I'm crazydoc, not Grazy doc. She's my bovine sister. :D

crazydoc said:

Yeah, you're right, I was thinking of the 991. I always get those confused. :o

Back