Take the "boom" outta my bass!

gregwar

We're talking about parametric EQ -- not 30-band graphic EQ ;) Cubase VST/32 has 4 bands of parametric EQ per channel, for instance. You can move the bands (sweepable) and change their width (Q).

crossstudio

Sorry, should have explained that the OP didn't have to cut everything that was offensive -- just some of it :eek: :) Thanks for clarifying. You go on assumptions when you explain things sometimes, and... things get messed up -- like nice, tight bass tracks :)

Chad

Igormeister said:
This is acoustic phenomenon, it depends on room size, wall distance and ceiling height ( standing waves build-up and room
resonant freq )

I have experimented with open field playback, and effect of 315 Hz region is not so drastic.
If you just open window in the studio, BOOM effect will decrease.
If monitoring with headphones, there is no BOOM.

This depends on playback room, and it looks that average room resonate at 315 Hz.
Igormeister has an excellent point. Make sure you’re not compensating for a problem with the room.

The first harmonic of the low E rests at about 329Hz. 293Hz for D. And the most common room dimension in the USA is an 8 ft (2.44m) ceiling. One resonance that could be excited for this dimension is at 279Hz, which corresponds to about C#4. So yeah, if you’re exciting the room resonance and the song is in D or the ubiquitous key of E, you’re liable to hear some mud and boom because it like playing C#4 simultaneously with your root note. The ½ frequencies would likely also be a problem.

You don’t happen to have any of these combinations happening there do you Pastorob?

barefoot

How about the potential obvious? Perhaps his playing is the problem? Try a pick instead of fingered, is he playing the strings to soft or too hard, etc. Ok, probably worthless drivel but I wanted to contribute. :)

actually misterx you are on to something.

seems that my bass has a natural resonance (i haven't figured out exactly where, because when i think i know, i dont)

when i finger the strings too hard, and i'm playing high up the bridge it sounds awefully boomy.

when i finger the strings too hard, and i'm playing low on the bridge it buzzes (not a fret buzz, but a growly buzz)

i'm learning to play the strings with authority, but not like i'm attacking them and the recordings are coming out less boomy.

btw, i get the best results for my style (r&b, hip-hop, reggae) by resting my thumb on the low-B and playing spider-style (4 fingers) between the 2 soapbar pickups.

Back