Take it easy, it's my first time.

TaxMan88

Okay ladies and gents . . . I submit for your consideration an OLD song of mine called "Whispers" that I dug up recently.

This is an incomplete mix in that I'm going to be adding some rhythm acoustic guitar very soon. Also, the beginning is empty and seems a bit long, but I just need to figure out what instrument I'm going to use to play the pre-piano intro. Suggestions on that are welcome. I just wanted to get some opinions/suggestions while the song is temporarily in limbo.

Anything that you have to say about this song/mix (the good, the bad, AND the ugly) will be GREATLY appreciated.

The mp3 is encoded at 128. I would have gone 160, but it would have taken FOREVER to upload. *sighs @ still being in the world of broadband*

I look forward to your input!

Thanks!
--Tax :D

Last edited:
THe sound at the beginning was very full. nice. I think it needs a tad of high end.

DUDE. THis song has POTENTIAL. The melody is very nice. The singing is tight.

I know it was done six months ago, so production skills would have been stepped up.

The first thing is that the apparent mononess of it felt stifling.

I would love to hear a stereo piano, or at least the mono panned somewhere.

Due to the nature of the song, I think the vocal could come up about 2 dbs. The doubling of the vox in some spots sounds very strange. Untraditional to say the least..

I think the high hat should come up in volume. If I am correct, its the only thing panned at all.

The kick and snare are almost non-existent. They should come up in volume

I like the vocal sound. I think you should leave the eq settings as is. It can use a bigger reverb though.

Good piano playing man. I think you should work on this song. Its a keeper.

I appreciate the interest guys!!

Cyan:

Thanks for your kind words! You're right about everything being mono . . . . I will soon have the opportunity to record this song stereo using my 6' grand, so it'll definitely have more depth to it.

It's surprising to me that you feel the vocal should come up. At times, I feel it may be too loud. I will try boosting it and see what it sounds like. The doubling of the vox is NOT an effect . . . I double tracked it that way. My voice does some strange things sometimes. (Most of the time, things I don't like) :rolleyes:

There is no hi-hat or snare in this tune. What you are hearing that resembles hi-hat is a shaker. The "snare" is a clave hit. I chose that because I didn't want something as harsh as a snare. The shaker and a very faint tambourine are panned right. The guitar is to be panned left once recorded, so that will also add to the depth of the song.

The kick could use some more attack to it I agree, but I think that it's openness adds to the tune. It sort of adds to the wash . . . what do you think?

I've never heard your stuff Cyan, but you know what you're talking about! Thanks for listening and I look forward to hearing more from you.

Emeric
I HAVE heard your stuff and I would LOVE to get your input on this. I respect your recordings very much. I will check out www.nowhereradio.com and let you know once the song is there . . check back soon please. Can't wait to hear what you'll have to say.

Last edited:
Damn good song.....well recorded also......cant wait to hear more of it......

Once you record the piano stereo, Id pan that hard left and right, bring the shaker/tamb closer in , maybe 3:00, and put the acoustic guitar opposite at 9:00.....

to compare the vocal volume, listen to faith hills "breathe" or sarah machlachlans "angel"

hey, what mic was this?. I like the high end of it.

Emeric . . .

I can't seem to get nowhereradio.com's page to load . . . can you suggest any other free sites where I can host my files (safely)?

Thanks a bunch!

Where's that Waldo guy when you need him?

Why can't you post there? probably all that plugin java flash shit. I wish everything was ASCII.

Email Wally, sure he can help get it posted. I can't recommend a better site - there isn't one! nowhereradio rocks for hosting (so far, for now)

There is mp3.com but it will take a year for them to 'approve it'.

There is 'lycos' which will take a year to download.

Nowhere is where it's at. Try it again, must be a browser/plug-in issue.

TaxMan,

a few people here are using Artist Launch at www.artistlaunch.com ....very easy and safe....no waiting.....money back guarantee 30 days unconditional....do not remove this tag under any circumstances under penalty of law.......in the event of a fire, put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye......

NoWhere doesn't use any Flash on the main site anymore, nor do we use RealPlayer. 'And no Java effects functionality, only appearence.

What problem are you having? There has been no errors on the server or the connection for 96 days straight.

W.

Updates processed

Cyan, Gidge, et al . . .

I have uploaded an updated version of the file to the same link that you went to before. Have another listen and tell me what you think. Still no stereo piano, but that is soon to come. I did some major separation on this version . . . much better to my ears.

Emeric . . .

I'm still trying to work this nowhereradio.com thing out.

Waldo . . .

What happens is that I go to the url and the top frame will load, but the rest of the page WILL NOT LOAD. It doesn't matter what computer I use. Nothing but the nowhereradio.com logo and an ad appear. The rest of the page is kaput for me. Help me if you can.

Hope you like the new stuff guys!

Netscape

That's an affirmative. I AM using Netscape . . . do you think I'd have better luck using IE?

I'm about to find out for myself. ;)

Indeed, the java in netscape (for the little NoWhere comparison shop deal) seems to screw up the tables...

I try as hard as I can to keep up with the MS/Netscape battle, but it can be a pain, since different platforms affect it as well...

W.

Back