Tablet for Live Work?

Nandoram

Crom!!!!
I've been looking at tablets for a reason hardly anybody else does... to use it for lyrics during live work. Got the idea when I saw the keyboardist from Dream Theater using a tablet as a sheet music reader during gigs.. he would turn the pages with some pedals. I think his version was over $1000, and I think the time has come for a less expensive option. Tired of dealing with my notebook/sheet protectors... especially when the wind recently blew it down during a gig.

Has anybody had any success with this, or does anybody have any good recommendations for a budget-friendly model to invest in? I'm thinking that a touch screen would be essential... like maybe the Barnes & Noble tablet?

Any discussions are appreciated.

I know some people will hate for me to say this, but... what about the iPad? It has downloadable app options (both free and paid), it has a touch screen, and it is pretty affordable ($500 for a new one, $400 for a used first-generation on eBay). Plus, I'm sure you'll find many more uses for the iPad besides your musical purposes.

Personally I just learn the lyrics and my songlist is around 450 songs so it can be done.

However, if you have to have one, I think I'd look at a Kindle. They're cheap and more importantly, you can see them just as well in bright sunlight as you can in dimmer areas. I saw a guy reading one on the beach the other day and it was pretty amazing how well you could see it. Just like print on a paper.
You're gonna have gigs in the sun and tablets can be hard to see in that setting.

The Kindle will work well. There's also a free program that will allow mp3's to be organized if you are playing to pre-recorded tracks.

Yes, I have a buddy in Fl using one for tracks. I just e-mailed him for the information and link. I will post it when he replies back.

Yes, I have a buddy in Fl using one for tracks. I just e-mailed him for the information and link. I will post it when he replies back.
cool. I use MIDI files for all my tracks but that sounds like a great choice for someone using MP3's.

I'm in Florida. Whereabouts is he?

I've got a Kindle... first generation when it first came out... and I honestly don't think it would be useful for gigs in the dark. You would need a light of some kind, not to mention... how do you mount it on a mic stand? Turning pages / finding songs would be a pain, as well as formatting the letters so they are readable onstage. This is why I was thinking a touch screen would be faster.

Back