T-rackS

atomictoyz

I have been playing around with this T-rackS "mastering" software and wanted to get some opinions from users who have been using it to some extent for sweetening home made CD's.

Peace,
Dennis

I just started using it on demo type stuff. Just to do an overall check on eqs and bring it up to better levels.

Anything thats semi serious, I refuse and more or less MAKE them get it mastered. I don't have a clue. I need someone to fix all my mistakes. :)

I'll put it this way: I don't know anything about mastering limiters and compressors, so I setup one of the "suite" presets and then just adjust the eq. Lame? yes! but, I'm not into messing up recordings.

I think it sounds a bit better than the waves stuff imho.

This thread is asking for a flame war :rolleyes:

Yeah, I just got the t-racks software. I like it. I love the EQ, but i'm not too impressed with the limiter and compressor, but it is very useful, i think. I use it all the time on mixes. I usually add some top end, and cut a little around 300hz and add some around 50-60hz and bring the overall levels up. It's fun software, great for the home studio or semi-pro.

I love this program. It really is fun to use. It can also be used to help you develop 'golden ears'....It helped me get a good grasp on Compression

I've been using t-racks for a couple months now. I like the program a lot. I learned very quickly how easy it is to over do it! Especially trying to use the EQ on the same monitoring system that you recorded the tune on.

The presets are pretty useful starting points, but I didn't really start getting into the program until I started twiddling with the "knobs" and "switches." Understanding how the effects respond to each other is pretty important and loads of fun.

I think the program sounds really good. I've used it to "master" my own CD's to see how the whole project fits together. Then I go back and remix what I had trouble getting to work right in t-racks. Its quite the learning process and I usually do it wrong far more often then I do it right. :)

Part of the trouble is that t-racks will easily make your tune louder. Thus, when you hit the bypass switch to compare it to your original mix it will sound lifeless. That's just volume changes, though, and not an accurate way to tell if you are changing the tune for better or worse. I usually hit the bypass switch and turn the monitors up so that it is about the same loudness just to be sure.

I don't know a thing about mastering, but I love playing with t-racks. I'm learning more about my mixing, anyway.

Back