T.C. Finalizer vs. Aphex 204?

edge59

Hi, I am new to the mixing process and am inquiring about the TC finalizer and Aphex Aural Exciters. Has anyone been able to compare the two and what was your conclusions? Best for the money, that made good improvements or are these not good to use?
thanks
Ed

They're not even in the same family... Nothing really to compare. Totally and completely different functions.

Well I have a Finalizer. John's correct- they are completely different machines.

The finalizer is basically a collection of mastering tools- EQ's, multi-band limiters and compressors, very precise level setting tools, and some "fairy dust" toys. Also sample rate conversions and high quality convertors for digitizing audio masters. The whole thing is set up to give you a lot of control- it does many different jobs.

The Aphex, by comparison, is a one trick pony. With very few controls or options it tries to emulate a general "big sound" that home enigineers generally don't get in their own. It's not very versatile, but it fine if its all you're looking for.

If you're looking for a tool to start getting a sense of what mastering is then of your two choices I would definately go with the Finalizer. (I should say that I don't mean the Finalizer Express. I don't know anything about that unit, though I would guess its more usefull than the Aphex.)

If you're new to mixing, however, I would look outside of your choices... and wait. Its *REALLY* important to learn to mix first before getting into mastering tools. You'll just slow down your mixing learning curve if you're trying to fix things at the mastering stage. Playing around with mastering is a good way to figure out what needs to be fixed in your mix... but then I'd go back and actually fix it in your mix since you can.

Take care,
Chris

thats food for thought

:cool: Thank you for your replies, again I am new to this end of recording, so sorry if I am not up to speed :cool: Glad I asked about the 2, since I don't want to do a frosting over garbage mix! Ok the Finalizer is something later down the road, maybe that does some nice eqing, comp/limitng etc. Ok I am also looking for a CD burner. I like many others, have been watching the Alesis ML9600, and I know that some here are not too impressed with it, Now does the ML9600, have simlar mixdown features in its processes or am I off track? :confused: I will need some kind of CD burning unit and appreciate all your comments. Or is there something else that I might consider for decent quality mixdowns? I know, I have a lot to learn here, so here we go, I'm listening... :rolleyes:

thank you again
fir the replies!
Edge :)

Get the masterlink.

I run from the board aes digital to the finalizer to the masterlink. It's all digital so no a/d d/a converts.

Back